Jim But that was two minutes ago!
JENNY. I know!!! What’s the point of love if it’s not at first sight? You do love me too, don’t you?
JIM. Yes, of course I do.
(SQUIRE re-enters with MUM.)
- Delicious, Mrs Hawkins.
- Quite delicious!
- As always, your spotted dick reigns supreme!
- But now, if you’ll excuse me –
- (Sees JENNY)
- Jennifer, what are you doing here?
JENNY. You left me outside.
- (taking her aside)
- Don’t you realise
- this is not the sort of establishment for young ladies?
JENNY. Why ever not?
- Because young ladies do sewing
- and play the piano!
JENNY. But I want a life of adventure!
- The sooner we get you to the Women’s Institute the better!
- I mean, just look at the crowd in here!
(CHORUS spring into raucous life.)
- It’s even worse than I thought!
- (Grabs JENNY’S hand.)
- Quick, we must go!
JENNY. Jim! (Looks longingly at JIM.)
JIM. Jenny! (Looks longingly at JENNY.)
- (pulling JENNY towards the door)
- Come along, Jennifer!
- (Exits with JENNY.)