Wells: My goodness! Oh…a poor body, it seems to be of a Curate. It wouldn’t be fair just to leave him to the Martians, god knows what they’ll do to him. I must bury him.
CLARA: (Calling) Father! Father!
WELLS: He’s alive!
CLARA: Father! Thank heavens I found you! I thought you’d perished.
CLARA: I saw the church get completely decimated by those things! Are you hurt at all?
Who are you?!
CLARA: You don’t need to worry. It's only me… Clara, your only daughter? The one you’ve been looking after since mother died?
No! You're one of them!
CLARA: One of who?
You’re a devil!
- You belong to these ravenous invaders
- from the depths of hell!
CLARA: (to WELLS) He's gone barmy
- What has Surrey done to disserve this?
- Everything gone,
- everything destroyed.
- The church!
- We rebuilt it only three years ago.
- Swept out of existence!
CLARA: I don’t know father, but we need to leave.
WELLS: She’s right. Are we far from Sunbury?
What are we to do?
Sunbury - Later
CLARA: Well we’re here, now what?
WELLS: In this cottage, quickly.
The demons are nearly upon us!
CLARA: Shh Father.
What on earth are you talking?
- The green flashes in the sky
- for the past several nights.
- People dismissed it
- as just a meteor or gas shower, but I knew!
- Oh I knew!
CLARA: Knew what?
- That his demon servants,
- his workers
- were waiting for their time to strike and now they're doing his dirty work cleansing the sinners from the face
- of the earth!
- And we’re next!
- Damn us for what we’ve done!
CLARA: No Father! You’ve got it all wrong. They're not devils at all, they're Martians, creatures.
WELLS: Yes, they came from Planet Mars.
This isn’t fair
WELLS: Get a grip on yourself man! What good is religion if it collapses under calamity?
- Don’t blame god and religion,
- blame me!
- I was supposed to
- “lead us not into temptation
- but deliver us from evil”
- I couldn’t do that;
- I’ve deceived the lord!
CLARA: You don’t know what you’re saying! You were always greatly respected. WELLS: Precisely. You’ll get another chance to redeem yourself, now we must
leave here immediately, or we’ll all die. CLARA:(to WELLS) He must be ill. He usually is the kindest, gentlest soul I know; he sees the good in everybody, he wouldn’t hurt a fly. This “war” has definitely done something to him, he’s changed. He seems bitter and confused. I’ve never seen him like this before.
- How dare you,
- you horrid, loathsome monster!
- ( He tries to punch her)
- Get away!
CLARA: (Tearing up) Father, no, please.
- You want to kill me!
- You’ll slice me open and rip out my insides and feed them to the devil!
CLARA: No I will not! I want to care for you and address your wounds.
What is life worth anymore.
CLARA: Surely it’s worth something, there is hope in the darkness. MARTIANS: Aloo! CLARA: Oh no!
- That sound....
- I warned them every service about this!
- “Be wary” I said!
- They all thought I was just an old fool and ignored my forewarnings.
- They didn’t listen.
CLARA: Father…you’re not listening either. Please listen to me instead, I love
you and you’re hurting me. What is all this fighting your inner conscious for? Surely love is more important, it might save you, it might save us.
- No! Nothing will free us
- from Satan’s evil grip now!
- Not love, not religion, not anything!
- We’re left for dead!
CLARA: I’m losing you father. Father! Father? Say something to me…please.
- No! Forget about what life was before, it’s gone now!
(Cylinder fall on House)
- Holy Saint Francis!
- A cylinders landed on the house!
- And we must be in the pit of it!
WELLS: Don’t move. The floor is covered with smashed crockery from that dresser. You can’t possibly move without making a noise, and they’re outside.
- Clara? ( he gasps)
- She's dead! Completely flattened and buried
- underneath the rubble!
- Why? Satan!
- This is you!
- Why did you take one of your servants?
WELLS: She wasn’t his, she was yours, your daughter!
- My Clara,
- my beautiful child…
- my little girl…
- (Shouting) Clara!
WELLS: (Whispering) Shh! You’ll kill us now you spineless coward, for god’s sake.
WELLS: One more word and I’ll throw you out there.
- But this all doesn’t make sense. One minute we had just finished morning service
- then the next
- fire, earthquake, death!
- As if it were Sodom and Gomorrah!
- All our work undone, all the work.
WELLS: Don’t wrestle with your thoughts. I understand your situation, but you’ve got to calm yourself down!
(The CURATE begins to chant religious prayers madly to himself)
WELLS: There’s no times for prayers
- (He shrieks)
- Have mercy on us...
Shh, be still!
- I must confront them
Shut up for goodness sake!
The word of the Lord is upon me!
I must destroy these demons!
- I shall....hhh!
- [Hit and faint on floor]
Thank god for that meat clever handle. He’s fainted. Oh god, a Martian is approaching.
They can use doors. Quickly, I shall drag him into the coal cellar.
- (Quietly )
- I’m coming Clara…