Shows examples of work and how that work was made
How long should demo reels be?
Shorter than 3 minutes
Where in the demo reel should your best work be?
The start start and end
Where to post demo reel
- You Tube
- Your Site – host elsewhere
What should come with your demo reel?
A breakdown sheet
What format should you resume be in?
Serial Position Effects
Things presented at the beginning and end of a sequence are more memorable than things presented in the middle
The art of distorting and applying a square image and wrapping it around the 3D object
2D UV mapped image has to be ________ to fit on a 3d surface
Why are UV maps all square?
To minimize image format efficiency
- Images in resolution that are multiples of 2n.
- Use same UV map as other textures or custom UV map
Diffuse (color map)
Affects the color of the rendered object
Affects the shininess
Makes parts of the object appear to emit light
Appears to add finer detail than exists
Moves actual geometry to add detail. Use greyscale maps
Applies a non-repeating mathematical transformation to the surface of the object
Rendering is the process of making an image from 2D or 3D model (or scene) by means of computational processes.
Contains objects in a defined data structure including geometry, viewpoint, texture, lighting, and shading information as a description of the virtual scene.
- Aspect Ratio
- Color Depth
When rendering an animation save the frames as separate images with an alpha channel, not video format.
- Alpha channel for editing
- Preserve maximum edibility
- Preserve maximum image quality
- Backup images in case of computer crash during rendering
Image formats use image compression to reduce the size of the resulting file.
What does the file size in image compression depend on?
- Resolution – number of pixels compressed
- Color Depth – number of bits per pixel per channel
- Aspect Ratio – square images compress slightly better
- Number of Channels
- Throws away data that will not be perceived by the user.
- Info cannot be recovered
- Results in very small files that look or sound the same as the original
Not effective in reducing size but allows all the original data to be recovered
Each frame is individually compressed
Sequences of frames are compared and similar areas over that time are reduced to a common element
Calculate material appearance from the angle of faces to the camera, lighting, color, and specularity.
Calculates brightness due to diffuse reflection
Calculates ambient, diffuse, and specular lighting
Simulates brushed metal surfaces
- The amount of data or bits that are being used every second
- If a video has a low bitrate, it will be low resolution with lots of compression artifacts
- If a video has a high bitrate if will be high quality/high resolution
Creating a series of bones inside a model
Defining relationships between the bones
- Hierarchy travels along the limbs to the end
- In order to move the tips of the fingers you have to move the upper and lower arms, the hand, base of the finger, middle of the finger, and the tip of the finger
- IK reduces the flow of control along the hierarchy