What is a buffy coat?
The fraction of an anticoagulated blood sample that contains most of the white blood cells and platelets following density gradient centrifugation of the blood.
This is a disease caused by gram negative intracellular bacteria that infects & destroys WBCs.
What are the two types of Ehrlichiosis and their vectors of transmission?
- 1.Human Granulocytic Anaplasma phagocytophylum
- Vector: Ixodes tick (same as Lyme dz)
Causes: Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, Lyme (BEL) dz
- > remember: BEL palsy caused by Ixodes tick.
- 2. Human Monocytic Ehrlichiosis (HME) - Ehrlichia chaffeensis & canis
- Vector: Lone Star tick (same as Lyme dz)
> remember: Texas (Lone Star) is where home (HME) is.
What are morulae found in WBCs infected with Ehrlichiosis?
These are mulberry-shaped aggregates within infected WBCs.
Appear 5-7 days after infection
Symptoms of Ehrlichiosis begin ____ days after tick bite.
Prodrome of rigors, malaise, & nausea occur, progressing to _________________.
- a) 7-10 days
- b) high fever, toxicity, myalgia, headaches
usually; ± splenomegaly
How is Ehrlichiosis diagnosed?
- 1. Buffy coat - note morulae within WBCs
- 2. Increased LFTs
- 3. Thrombocytopenia & leukopenia
What is the first line tx for Ehrlichiosis?
- also Rifampin, Chloramphenicol
What diagnosis is associated with the pathognomic finding of tetrad inclusions within RBCs?
What are the main vectors for Hantavirus?
- especially the feces and urine of deer mice.
- Prodromal febrile phase (including severe myalgias); can progress to cardiopulmonary phase; may cause renal failure.