What is cellulitis + CC?
- infection of the skin cells
- CC = red, swollen, painful, and sometimes warm area of skin
Treatment for cellulitis?
What is an abscess + CC?
- skin infection with an underlying collection of pus
- CC = red, swollen, and painful lump
Scribe alert for abscesses?
- abscesses must have the pus-pocket drained
- remember to document I&D procedure notes
What is a rash + CC?
- changes in the skin’s appearance due to systemic or localized reaction
- could be caused from meds, virus, bacteria, fungus
- CC = rash, red, itchy, painful
Examples of non dangerous rashes?
- urticaria (hives or wheals)
- macule (flat)
- papules (raised bumps)
- vesicles (small blisters)
What is DKA?
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis = shortage of insulin resulting in hyperglycemia and production of ketones
- fruity odor, tachypnea
- CC = persistent vomiting with a hx of DM
How is DKA diagnosed?
- arterial blood gas (ABG)
- venous blood gas (VBG) showing low pH (acidosis)
- positive serum ketones