All licensed Dental Hygienists in the state of Florida are required to notify the Board of Dentistry of an address change within ______ following the change of address
Where can Dental hygienists perform their duties
a. In the office of a licensed dentist
b. In public health programs and institutions of the:
1.Department of Children and Family Services, Department of Health, Department of Juvenile Justice under the general supervision of a licensed dentist.
c. In a health access setting.
d. Upon a patient of record of a dentist who has been issued a prescription for the services of a dental hygienist, which prescription is valid for 2 years unless a shorter length of time is designated by the dentist.
In an emergency in which a dentist of record is unable to be physically present to pre-examine the patient, and the patient will be seen by a dentist within
What are some emergency remedial tasks permitted by RDH
- (1) Removing and re-cementing properly contoured and fitting loose bands that are not permanently attached to any appliance;
- (2) Securing or unsecuring an archwire by attaching or removing the fastening device;
- (3) Inserting or removing dressings from alveolar sockets in post-operative osteitis when the patient is uncomfortable due to the loss of a dressing from an alveolar socket in diagnosed cases of post-operative osteitis;
- (4) Placing or removing periodontal dressings when the patient is uncomfortable due to the loss of a periodontal pack during the prescribed period of treatment;
- (5) Cementing temporary crowns or bridges using temporary cement when the patient is uncomfortable due to the loss of a temporary crown or bridge;
- (6) Placing temporary medicinal restorative material when the patient is uncomfortable due to the loss of a temporary medicinal restoration.
Board of Dentistry consists of ___ members who shall be appointed by the _______ and subject to confirmation by the ________
Seven members if the board must be ______
Two members must be _______
Two members must be ________
- licensed dentist
- dental hygienist
At least one member of the board must be ___ years of age or older. Members shall be appointed for __ year terms, but may serve no more than a total of ___ years
A Council on Dental Hygiene shall be appointed by the board chair and shall include
- one dental hygienist member of the board, who shall chair the council
- one dental member of the board
- three dental hygienists who are actively engaged in the practice of dental hygiene in this state.
The council shall meet at the request of the board chair, a majority of the members of the board, or the council chair; however, the council must meet at least ____ times a year
All Dental Hygienists must complete ___ hours of approved CE within the two year licensure period
What are the requirements for the renewal of Licensure
- 1.Two (2) hour course relating to prevention of medical errors as part of the 24 hour requirement each biennial licensure renewal.
- 2.Training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) at the basic support level, which results in certification or recertification in CPR by the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or an entity with equivalent requirements (in addition to the 24 hours of requirement CE).
- 3.Two (2) hours of CE on domestic violence must be completed every third biennial licensure renewal period.
Up to __ hours of credit per renewal cycle may be earned by attending a meeting of the Board of Dentistry wherein disciplinary cases are considered
By participating as an expert witness in the review of disciplinary cases, a licensee may receive a: maximum of ______ of continuing education credit for completing five disciplinary cases in each biennium
By participating as an anesthesia inspection consultant a licensee may receive ___ hours of continuing education credit each biennium
Dry heat and ethylene oxide sterilizers must have their efficacy verified with appropriate biological monitoring every ______ of operation at sterilization parameters or every ______, whichever comes first
Biological monitoring of steam (autoclave) or chemical vapor sterilization must be biologically monitored every ____ hours (2400 min) of operation time or ____ days whichever comes first
At least one of the following procedures must be used in order to provide proper sterilization:
–(a) Steam under pressure (e.g., autoclave)
–(c) Chemical vapor
–(d) Ethylene oxide
Absence of sensibility of pain, designating particularly the relief of pain without loss of consciousness
The loss of sensation of pain in a specific area of the body, generally produced by a topically applied agent or injected agent without causing the loss of consciousness
Nitrous-oxide inhalation analgesia
The administration by inhalation of a combination of nitrous-oxide and oxygen producing an altered level of consciousness that retains the patient’s ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and respond appropriately to physical stimulation or verbal command.
Pediatric Conscious Sedation
A depressed level of consciousness produced by the administration of pharmacologic substances that retains the patient’s ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and respond appropriately to physical stimulation and verbal command.
A depressed level of consciousness produced by the administration of pharmacologic substances, that retains the patient’s ability to independently and continuously maintain an airway and respond appropriately to physical stimulation and verbal command.
A controlled state of depressed consciousness accompanied by partial loss of protective reflexes, including either or both the inability to continually maintain an airway independently or to respond appropriately to physical stimulation or verbal command, produced by pharmacologic or non-pharmacologic method or combination thereof.
A controlled state of unconsciousness, produced by a pharmacologic agent, accompanied by a partial or complete loss of protective reflexes, including inability to independently maintain an airway and respond purposefully to physical stimulation or verbal command
The loss of feeling or sensation, especially loss of the sensation of pain
As part of the minimum standard of care, every dental office location shall be required to have an _______ by February 28, 2006
automatic external defibrillator
Monitors shall be required to successfully complete a Board approved educational program for licensees infected with the Hepatitis B virus. A report must be completed within ___ days of the monitor’s visit. Making random on-site visits at least _______ period.
- once a year for a three year
Notification by the infected licensees must include at a minimum
1.Barrier technique broken
2.Steps taken to notify affected patient
3.Steps taken to overcome break in technique.
If any barrier technique is broken infected licensees must notify the:
2.Executive Director of Board within 24 hours by phone and no later than 72 hours in writing after barrier technique broken.
3.Health Department within 24 hours by phone and no later than 72 hours in writing after barrier technique has been broken.
Infected licensee will be monitored on a random basis at least ______ by board approved consultants to verify compliance with Sterilization techniques, Disinfection techniques, Barrier techniques
once a year
No later than ______ after receiving acknowledgement of Hep B status, licensee must complete an _______ at least _____ in duration which will aid in a better understanding of the disease.
The course requires a ________
- 6 months
- educational approved program
- 6 hours
- written comprehensive examination covering each of the topics in the course.
Hep B Infected licensee must notify BOD in writing no longer than ______ after learning of infection
Which actions are a Misdemeanor of the 1st Degree
- Using the name “dental hygienist” or the initials “R.D.H.” unless that person has an active dental hygienist’s license issued by the department
- Using the name or title “dentist,” the letters “D.D.S.” or “D.M.D.”, or any other words, unless the person has an active dentist’s license issued by the department
What actions constitute Disciplinary Action
- Failing to report to the board, in writing, within 30 days if action has been taken against one’s license to practice dentistry in another state, territory, or country.
- Practicing or offering to practice beyond the scope permitted by law or accepting and performing professional responsibilities which the licensee knows or has reason to know that she or he is not competent to perform.
- Failing to keep written dental records and medical history records justifying the course of treatment of the patient
- Being employed by any corporation, organization, group, or person other than a dentist or a professional corporation or limited liability company composed of dentists to practice dentistry
What actions constitute a Felony of the Third Degree
- –Practicing dentistry or dental hygiene unless the person has an appropriate, active license issued by the department pursuant to this chapter.
- –Using or attempting to use a license issued pursuant to this chapter which license has been suspended or revoked.
- –Knowingly employing any person to perform duties outside the scope allowed such person under this chapter or the rules of the board.
- Giving false or forged evidence to the department or board for the purpose of obtaining a license
- Selling or offering to sell a diploma
A copy of the lab prescription shall be retained in a file in the prescribing dentist’s office for a period of _____ following the date the prescription was issued, and the original prescription shall be retained in a file by the dental laboratory for a period of _____
A dentist shall comply with a patient’s written request for copies of records and reports in a timely manner, with due regard for the patient’s health needs. In the absence of circumstances beyond the control of the licensee, timely shall mean
less than 30 days
A dentist may charge a fee for copying reports or records not to exceed the cost
per page charged by the Clerk of the County Court where the dentist practices
Dental records of a practitioner who is terminating or relocating his practice shall be retained by the dentist or his authorized agent, which may be a successor-owner dentist, and made available to patients for _____ from the date the patient was last examined or treated
Within ____ of a dentist’s death, the dentist’s estate or agent shall place all patient records of the deceased dentist in the care of another Florida licensed dentist
Inactive licenses must be renewed _______ including payment of the renewal fee
Inactive status licensees choosing active status at any time other than at the time of license renewal shall pay the
reactivation fee, and the change of status processing fee
Inactive status licensees choosing active status at the time of license renewal must pay the
renewal fee required, the reactivation fee, any applicable delinquency fee as required, and the change of status processing fee required.
Two hours of continuing education credit shall be awarded for each _______ of actual lecture time. Licensees may obtain a maximum of ____ per biennium
A licensee who has been approved as a provider may not give more than _______ of continuing education credit in subjects other than cardiopulmonary resuscitation to office staff, employees, or fellow employees during a biennium
Providers shall provide written certification to each participant who completes a continuing education course or portion of that course which consists of at least ________ of instruction
One half hour or one hour of continuing education credit shall be awarded for each _________ of actual classroom or clinical instruction, respectively
25 or 50 minutes