Which page is used to check the effective dates of the active database?
A/C STATUS page.
If the A/C STATUS page not currently displayed, explain the steps required to
access this page?
- Step 1 - push the REF key
- Step 2 – Line select 5L…A/C STATUS
What is the significance of boxed items on the initialization pages?
Mandatory entry required.
What is the cost index?
- The cost index reflects time cost relative to fuel cost and governs the Economy
- mode of operation.
Which page is used to insert a desired dump weight?
- FUEL INIT page. The FUEL INIT page is page 3 of 3 in the initialization series.
- Page 1 is accessed by pushing the INIT key, or Line select key 6R on the A/C
- STATUS Page, then push the page key twice.
When loading flight plan data, which page is used to enter a jet airway?
The AIRWAY page is accessed using a lateral revision key.
What page is used to enter a direct leg, when loading your flight plan?
Direct legs are entered on the ACT FLT-PLAN page.
How would you select a standard instrument departure and insert it into your flight
- Line select 1L on the ACT FLT-PLAN, the departure airport, then select SID
- and make your selection.
After you have loaded your flight plan, how do you copy it into a secondary flight
Push SEC F-PLAN MODE KEY, then line select copy flight plan.
Which page is used to select V speeds and how do you access this page?
The TAKEOFF page. Push the TO/APPR mode select key
What indications would you have on your electronic instrument system if you have
confirmed or entered “V speed”?
- The speeds will be displayed on the PFD airspeed tape, the autopilot OFF box will
- change from amber to white, and the flight director pitch bar will come into view.
When will the packs and pneumatics come on after takeoff?
- When takeoff thrust is reduced to climb thrust but not before 1500 feet AGL. If climb
- thrust is not selected, the pneumatics and packs will be restored to ON at 4500 feet
What is the default page of the Performance page?
Which page would you select to manually tune an ILS?
The NAV RAD page
You are required to report abeam a facility. What page would you refer to for this
The FIX page.
How would you find the closest airports using the FMS if you are currently on the
active flight plan page?
- Select the REF mode select key to call up the REF INDEX page, then line select
- CLOSEST AIRPORTS.
What occurs when a waypoint is entered that has a common name in the data base?
The DUPLICATE NAMES page is automatically displayed.
You are cleared from your present position to another waypoint on your original flight
plan. How would you go about accomplishing this task?
- Use the DIR INTC key. The desired waypoint can be inserted into the DIR TO field
- at line 1L by pressing the left line select key adjacent to the waypoint you wish to
- proceed directly to. Activate the Modification by pressing the line select key at 1L.
How do you access the Defined Waypoints Page?
Push the REF mode key, then line select DEFINED WAYPOINT, 1L.
At the completion of the flight you wish to check the IRU’s. Describe the steps
required to access the information to display three IRU’s position and how to
determine the drift rate and ground speed error?
- Push the REF mode select key and line select POS REF then push Page to
- access “IRS STATUS” to show the drift rate and ground speed error.
What does the “DSPY” light on the left side of the MCDU indicate when illuminated?
Current display is not related to the active FMS situation.
Where are the FMS generated messages displayed?
In the scratch pad of the MCDU.
When does the FMS automatically increase speed from V2 plus 10 to FMS Climb
speed when operating in PROF mode?
When the aircraft reaches the ACCEL altitude (defaulted to 3000 ft AFE).
What indicates that all V speeds have been entered or confirmed on the takeoff
- V speeds will be displayed on the PFD airspeed tape, autopilot OFF box will change
- from amber to white, flight director pitch bar will appear.
What action causes the takeoff V speeds to drop out and require re-configuration?
Changing the departure runway, or ay performance parameters.
When NAV is preselected on the ground, when will capture occur during the takeoff
phase of flight?
At 100 feet RA.
Can the AP and navigation (NAV) mode be engaged below 400 feet?
After takeoff, what is the minimum altitude for engaging PROF?
400 feet AGL.
After takeoff what is the minimum altitude for autopilot engagement without NAV
100 feet AGL
Under what conditions will engaging PROF also engage FMS SPEED?
Only when the FMS is in the takeoff mode.
What is necessary for the FMS transition to the cruise phase, if the cruise altitude on
the INIT page is not attained?
The new altitude must be entered on the INIT Page.
When does the aircraft transition from climb to cruise?
- When both the aircraft altitude and the GCP altitude agree with the cruise level
- altitude on the
- INIT page.
When an ILS is selected from the database, when will it be autotuned by the FMS?
When the aircraft is within 25 nautical miles of the destination.
Where is the “LOC ONLY” prompt located?
On the NAV RAD page.
How many FIX pages are available?
What happens to the original flight plan after the secondary flight plan is activated?
The original flight plan becomes the secondary flight plan.
When are all defined waypoints automatically deleted?
At the termination of the flight.
Which FMS page stores information in both database and pilot defined waypoints?
The WAYPOINT PAGE.
What is the minimum runway length of all airports listed on the Closest airport page?
What speed is commanded by the flight director, when an engine out is confirmed,
prior to reaching the EO ACCEL altitude?
Exiting airspeed, no lower than V2, no higher than V2 plus 10.
When will the Go-Around page be displayed automatically?
- When the G/A button on the center throttle is pushed. Available in the cruise, decent,
- and approach modes only.
When is the FMC position automatically updated to the runway Lat/Long?
When the throttles are advanced to takeoff thrust
What is the priority for position information used by the FMC?
GPS, RADIO, IRS.
What condition is required for NDB to autotune?
When the NDB is a NAV database waypoint specified for a leg of the flight plan.
Which page is used to access Standby NAV?
The MENU page.
What effect will selecting Standby on MCDU #1 Or #2, have on the opposite MCDU?
No effect, MCDU #3 is unaffected.
What MCDU function is available if both FMC’s fail?
The MCDU’s will serve as navigation computers in the Standby mode
When in the Standby mode, which IRU updates MCDU #1 and #2?
MCDU #1 uses IRU #1 and MCDU #2 uses IRU #2
Which MCDU pages are available on the Standby Nav mode?
DIR/INTER, NAV/RAD, PROG, FLT PLN, and MENU.
When operating in standby, can the NAV function be coupled to the autopilot?
When operating in standby mode, is the MAP display available?
When operating in standby mode, is vertical navigation available?
How are changes made to the active flight plan copied into the #3 MCDU when in
- By selecting “copy active” on MCDU #1 or #2, provided MCDU #3 is not in standby
What information is provided on the standby PROG page?
- Time and distance to go to the TO waypoint, NEXT waypoint, or destination.
- Ground speed also available.
Why are back course approaches not approved for the MD-11?
The raw data sensing on the PFD is reversed.
What is necessary for TCAS equipped aircraft to identify other aircraft?
The other aircraft must be Mode S transponder equipped.
What is the proximity of an aircraft when a resolution advisory is issued?
When will a TCAS advisory include vertical speed information?
When vertical speed exceeds 500 feet per minute.
Radio Altimeters and all TCAS voice warnings are inhibited below what altitude?
What is the significance of the NO TAXI message on the PFD?
The IRUs are not aligned.
What is the function of the event marker switches?
They are used to mark an event on the flight data recorder.
What is the required format for entering OAT on the TAKEOFF page?
C or F must be included in the OAT format.
What is the lowest altitude that PROF may be used during a decent/approach?
- The MDA if the approach was loaded from the database and required entry of a Min.
- PROF altitude.
Which navigation radios are available when operating under emergency power with
the ADG in the electric mode?
VOR 1, VOR 2, ILS 2, and marker beacons.