Plan B (levonorgestrel) must be taken when?
- within 72 hours of unprotected sex
- again 12 hours following first dose
What are the common drug interactions of BCP?
- ↑ caffeine, corticosteroids, theophylline
- ↓ warfarin, insulin
what are the adverse effects of BCP (ethinyl estradiol with norethindrone)?
- abd cramps
- dysmenorrhea, breakthrough bleeding
- breast tenderness
- skin rash, acne
- HA, weight gain
- vaginal candidiasis
What must a woman do if she skips a dose of BCP?
Have backup birth control
What is the action of depo-provera?
inhibits the effect of estrogen on the uterus, restoring the normal hormonal balance
How often is depo-provera given?
IM every 3M
what are the uses for depo-provera?
- uterine bleeding
what are the SEVERE adverse effects of depo-provera?
- BLACK BOX: when taken with estrogens
- pulmonary emboli
- invasive breast CA
- loss of bone density
what are the adverse effects of depo-provera?
- +same as BCP
what are the risks of HRT?
- Breast CA
- VTE (venous thromboembolism)
what are the side effects of HRT?
- increased skin pigmentation
- weight gain
- fluid retention
- change in libido
- breast tenderness
what are the benefits of HRT?
- ↓ menopausal symptoms
- may prevent osteoporotic bone fx
what is the mechanism of action of sildenafil (Viagra)?
relaxes smooth muscle in corpus cavernosum - allows increased blood flow to penis
what are the side effects of sildenafil (Viagra)?
- HA, dizziness, chest pain
- flushing, rash
- nasal congestion
- dyspepsia, diarrhea
- blurred vision, red eyes, changes in color perception
what is the mechanism of action of alpha1 adrenergic blockers (cardura, hytrin, flomax) for BPH?
inhibits constriction of smooth muscle cells to ease obstruction of urethra
what are the side effects of alpha1 adrenergic blockers (cardura, hytrin, flomax) for BPH?
- first dose phenomenon (severe hypotension, and syncope)
what is the mechanism of action of finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) for BPH?
- block enzyme in testosterone metabolic pathway
- reduces size of prostate
what are the side effects of finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) for BPH?
- decreased libido
- may take 6-12 months to work
- teratogenic to male fetus