what is disordered eating?
- General term for abnormal or atypical eating behaviours
- Associated with efforts to control weight
what are the general warning signs of an eating disorder?
- Severe self criticism
- Depressed mood
- Belief that only worthwhile when thin
- Preoccupation with weight, shape and dieting
what are the stats of female university students with eating disorders?
- 4% struggle with Anorexia Nervosa (AN)
- 4% struggle from Bulimia Nervosa (BM)
- 61% have some kind of subclinical eating problem, including chronic dieting, binge/purging and subclinical bulimia
what are the stats of male university students with eating disorders?
10-20% suffer from disordered eating + 2% have clinical Bulimia Nervosa (BN)
what is the death rate for eating disorders among university?
what is Anorexia Nervosa?
- Distorted body image
- Excessive dieting that leads to severe weight loss
- A pathological fear of getting fat, despite being underweight
- Intense fear of becoming obese by losing control over eating
what are the warning signs of AN?
- Unusual eating behaviours : measuring food, excessive consumption of water and gum, eating small dishes
- Sense of powerless
- High expectations of self and others
- Obsessive compulsive personality traits
- "Black or White" thinking
- Social Withdrawal
- Results in PEM
what are the AN warning signs?
- sudden and drastic weight loss (not due to surgery or illness)
- Irregular or absent periods
- development of narrow food preferences
- Abnormal rituals during meals
- Refusal to eat in front of others
- Always feeling cold even in arm weather
- Wearing baggy clothes to hide body
- Overdoing exercise
what is the age of onset of AN?
mid teens : 10-20
what is bulimia nervosa (BN)?
- Frequent episodes of binge eating followed by self induced vomiting to avoid weight gain
- Over concern with body shape and weight (may be normal weight)
- Self induced voting
- Laxative or diuretic use
- Strict dieting or fasting
- Vigorous exercise
what are the BN warning signs?
- Binge eating: usually does in secret
- Evidence in missing food or empty containers
- Signs of vomiting in bathroom
- Excusing to leave after meal
- Evidence of excessive laxative or diuretic use
- Chipmunk cheeks: repeated swelling causes glands around the jaw to swell
- Fluctuation in weight
- Excessive exercise
- Burst blood vessels in eyes
what is a binge eating disorder?
recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances