Which generation had higher achievement orientation (particularly women)?
_______ parental influence has been found among baby boomers, generation X, and millennials.
Negative effect of parental divorce has been _____.
Men worked ____ hours in 1970 versus ____ hours in 2000; Women worked ____ hours in 1970 versus ____ in 2000.
43.5; 37.1; 43.1; 37.0
When children are at home...
women generally cut back hours and men work more.
Non-parents tend to work ____ than parents.
We moved from an _________ government to a _________.
Family is anchored in...
Historical views of the family:
- 1. Primarily an economic unit
- 2. Children had limited rights; seen, not heard
- 3. Sexuality was dominated by reproduction
- 4. Sex was regulated by the idea of female virtue
- 5. Homosexuality was unnatural (modern history)
- 6. Not based on intimacy
Modern views of the family:
- 1. Economic role of family has dwindled; love is basis for marriage
- 2. Intimacy prevalent
- 3. Coupling more common
- 4. Democracy in relationships
- 5. Sexual equality is key for happy and fulfilling relationship.
What does intimacy include?
Sex, communication, openness, disclosure, and friendship.
Marriage without children.
How many women in western society do not want children?
Democracy in relationships has none of the following:
arbitrary power, cohesion, or violence
____ people would like to go back to the traditional male/female gender roles.
Tasks of transition to adulthood:
- 1. Clear sense of personal identity
- 2. Capacity for intimacy with others
In emerging adulthood, most influence comes from relationships that have...
- High intensity
- High priority
- Long history
Autonomy vs family support consists of...
individuation and differentiation
Individuation (individual focus):
Developmental process through which a person comes to see the self as separate and distinct within the relation process.
Differentiation (family focus):
How boundaries, the emotional climate, and identity tasks are managed.
Five identity tasks of emerging adulthood:
- 1. Identity Exploration
- 2. Instability
- 3. Self Focus
- 4. In between adult and child
- 5. Multiple Possibilities