What is MDEGM?
MPDE Governor Malfunction
What are the indications of MDEGM?
- Excessive hunting of governor or fluctuating engine speed
- Engine fails to respond to speed/load change.
- Engine running at excessive speed for throttle setting.
- Engine stops suddenly.
- Engine overspeeds or surges.
NOTE: When can the combustion air shutoff be used?
Only if the electronic and mechanical E-stops fail
NOTE: What happens to the engine if its stopped without allowing time for cooldown?
May cause damage to the engine
NOTE: When is the best time to bar over the engine after a MLLOP casualty?
At earliest opportunity
NOTE: When can you stop the L/O pumps?
When the engine has come to a complete stop
NOTE: How long can a L/O pump run after engine shutdown?
No more than 10 min
NOTE: What is an engine surge?
An increase of 100 rpm or more
NOTE: What actions to take if engine surge occurs after declutching engine?
What actions to take if diesel engine overspeed trip device activates?
Verify affected clutch disengages.
What are the Controlling Actions of MDEGM?
What are the Immediate Actions of the PACC?
- EOOW, Governor malfunction on _ main engine; stopping/E-stopping _ main engine.
- Stop affected main engine. Verify clutch disengaged.
- E-stop affected shaft
- Place affected shaft in trailing mode by resetting shaft E-stop and selecting TRAILING.
- EOOW, Thrust control shifted to CCS. _ main engine stopped/E-stopped, clutch disengaged, _ shaft trailing, ECS is in trailing mode.
What are the Immediate Actions of the EOOW?
- IMC, Governor malfunction _ main engine. CRT, lay to (space).
- CRT, report manned and ready.
- OOD, _ main engine stopped/E-stopped, clutch disengaged, and _ shaft trailing. Thrust control shifted to CCS. Maximum speed available _ knots.
What are the Immediate Actions of the Rover/CRT?
- Manned and ready
- Verify _ main engine clutch has automatically disengaged. If not, manually disengage/dump the air to _ main engine clutch.
- EOOW, _ main engine clutch is disengaged.