Medication Classification: Phosphodiesterase Type 5 (PDE5) Inhibitors
- Select Prototype Medications: sildenafil (Viagra)
- ●● Other Medications:
- tadalafil (Cialis),
- vardenafil (Levitra)
- Erectile dysfunction
- nitric oxide released during sexual stimulation, resulting in enhanced blood flow to the corpus cavernosum and penile erection.
Adverse affect: "Afil"
- MI, sudden death
- (Monitor risk factors and history with regard to cardiovascular health)
- (Instruct clients to notify the provider if erection lasts more than 4 hr.)
- Contraindicated in clients taking any medications in the nitrate family, such as nitroglycerin.
- ●● Use cautiously in clients who have cardiovascular disease, including QT prolongation.
- ●● Advise clients that grapefruit juice may increase plasma concentrations and possible adverse effects of medication.
Medication/Food Interactions: "Afil"
- Organic nitrates, such as nitroglycerin (Nitrostat)and isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil), can lead to fatal hypotension.
- (Discourage concurrent use of organic nitrates oralpha blockers.)
- Ketoconazole, erythromycin, cimetidine, ritonavir,and grapefruit juice inhibit metabolism of sildenafil,thereby increasing plasma levels of medication.
- (Use these medications cautiously in clients takingPDE5 inhibitors.)
- Part of inhalation
- prevents inflammation, suppress airway mucus production, promote response to Beta 2 receptor
- Does not provide immediate effect, but rather promotes decrease frequency and severity of exacerbation and acute attack
Glucocorticoid use in combination with other antiemetic to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV)
- Adrenal insufficiency(hypotension, dehydration, weakness, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea associated with prolonged use)
- (Advise clients to observe for indications and to notify the provider if they occur.)
- (Advise clients to take calcium supplements, vitamin D, and/or bisphosphonate (alendronate [Fosamax]).