This termis the set of whole positive and negative numbers, including zero. (not including decimals or fractions
What is a Prime number?
A whole number greater than 1 that can only be divided by 1 and itself.
What is a composite number?
A whole number greater than 1 that is not a prime number and can be divided by numbers other than 1 and itself.
What is a rational number?
What is an irrational number?
- Rational Number: Numbers that include all integers, decimals, and fractions: anny terminating or repeating decimal number is a national number.
- Irrational Number: numbers that cannot be written as fravtions or decimals. Examle, pi is an irrational number because it doesnt end (3.1415.....)
Define these terms of operation:
- Sum: results from addition
- Difference: results from subtraction
- Product: results from multiplication
This term is a superscript that indicates how many times the base number is to be multiplied by itself.
How is 2 raised to the power of -2 solved?
List the order of operations? (PEMDAS)
- **Multiplication and division have equal presidence, as do addition and subtraction, so those pairs are simply worked from left to right in order**
5 + 20 ÷ 4 x (2+3)^2
2^3 + 2^4
- = 2^7 = 128
- Add exponents to together when the base number is the same
What are the 10 perfect square roots from 1-100?
1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100
Write 0.0002304 in scientific notation
2.304 x 10^-4
What is a common factor?
- A number that divides exactly into two or more other numbers.
- Examples: Factors of 12 are 1,2,3,4, and 12
- 1 x 12
- 2 x 6
- 3 x 4
What is prime factor?
- A prime factor is also a prime number.
- Prime factor of 12 are 2 and 3 (2 and 3 are prime numbers)
What is GCF? What is the GCF of 15 and 35?
- GCF (greatest common factor) is the largest number that is a factor of two or more numbers.
- - The greatest number that goes into both 15 and 35 is 5.
- * 15 (1,3,5,15)
- * 35 (1,5,7,15)
Define proper and improper fraction.
- Proper Fraction: a fraction whose denominator is greater than its numerator
- Improper Fraction: a fraction whose numerator is greater than its denominator
Write 15% as a fraction and simplify
15% = 15/100 = 3/20
Write .8 as a fraction and percent
.8 = 4/5 = 80%
what is 2.5 x 4?
- Easiest way is to multiply 25 x 4 = 100
- Then add a decimal point based on the number of decimal places in the equation.
- 2.5 x 4 = 100 / 10 = 10.0
What is 30% of 120? What is the word "of" referring to?
- The word "of" indicates multiplication
- First convert 30% to a decimal, then multiply.
- 30% -> 0.30 x 120 = 36