Automatically remove your image background. Try it now!
What is Epstein-Barr virus?
Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a ubiquitous human herpesvirus.
Where can EBV be found in infected host?
1. In the B-cell compartment for the life of the infected host
2. From throat washings (More immunocompromised but even healthy)
3. Shed in oropharyngeal secretions
How is EBV transmitted?
1. Intimate contact between susceptible individuals and asymptomatic shedders of EBV. (spread of the virus may be facilitated by the transfer ofsaliva with kissing)
2. EBV has also been spread via blood transfusion.
3.After open heart surgery as the postpump perfusion syndrome.
What is the role of coitus in transmission of EBV?
Coitus does not conferr any additional risk of EBV compared to kissing without coitus
What is the role of fomites in transmission of EBV?
Fomites have no role in transmission of EBV
What is the role of contact with cases of infectious mononucleosis in EBV transmission?
Only 6% of % of those with infectious mononucleosis cite previous contact with another case of infectious mononucleosis.
The main transmission is from contact between susceptible individuals and asymptomatic shedders of EBV.