(E-PME Study Guide Number: 2-3.01.K) In the example, what does the 2 designate?
- The number 2 indicates chapter
- Ref epme Page 1-7
(E-PME Study Guide Number: 2-3.01.K) In the example, what does the 3 designate?
- pay grade
- Ref epme Page 1-7
(E-PME Study Guide Number: 2-3.01.K) In the example, what does the 01 designate?
- sequencial chapter
- Ref epme Page 1-7
(E-PME Study Guide Number: 2-3.01.K) In the example, what does the K and P designate?
- Ref epme Page 1-7
Name the 5 Federal Agencies’ that merged in order to make up today’s CG?
- 1. Revenue Cutter Service,
- 2. Lighthouse Service,
- 3. Steamboat Inspection Service,
- 4. Bureau of Navigation,
- 5. Lifesaving Service
- Ref epme Page 1-11
When was the formal creation of the Coast Guard?
- formal creation of the Coast Guard in 1915
- Ref epme Page 1-12
What are the roles in the Coast Guard?
- Maritime safety
- Maritime Security
- Maritime Stewardship
How many drills for selected reserve?
- 48 paid inactive duty training (IDT)
- 12 paid active duty training (ADT) days per fiscal year
When the US flag is displayed on land, it is called ____?
When the US flag is displayed on a vessel or Facility, it is called ____?
When the US flag is displayed on a vehicle or aircraft it is called ___?
- Standard when displayed on a vehicle or aircraft.
What is the name of the area where the MSDSs are kept?
- Right to Know Station
What are the 5 Terrorist Threat Levels?
- Severe – red
- High – orange
- Elevated – yellow
- Guarded – blue
- Low – green
When did the CG move to the DHS?
What year did the Coast Guard come into existence when congress combined the Revenue Cutter Service & the U.S. Lifesaving Service?
When did the rates in the Coast Guard become the same as the Navy?
When was the MCPOCG established?
Who was the first MCPOCG?
- BMCM Charles L Calhoun
Petty Officers have the authority to what under SEASII?
Who does the final review of the EERS?
- Personnel Support Center (PSC)
- E-PME Study Guide E4-58
When evaluating subordinates, What form is used?
- Form CG-3788
- Ref epme Page E4-60
- What is the lowest rank that can do EERS?
- The supervisor must be an E-6 or above
- E-PME Study Guide E4-60
What is the lowest rank that can be an Approving Official for EERS?
- The Approving Official must be a Coast Guard officer or officer in charge (E-7 or above). Public Health Service officials assigned to Coast Guard commands may sign as Approving Official.
- E-PME Study Guide E4-61
What are the 5 catagories of the petty officer performance evaluation factors?
- Professional Qualities
Passwords must be ___ long?
- At least eight characters, two of which must be numeric
What is the SSIC when using with a Memorandum?
- Standard Subject Identification Code
- Also known as the file number and should be on each page
What is the S.A.P.P. rule for release of information Limitations?
- Use the “SAPP” rule (Security, Application, Policy, Propriety) to decide if the information can be released
- Security: Is the information classified or will it impact operational security?
- Accuracy: Is the information complete and correct?
- Policy: Would release violate Coast Guard or unit policy?
- Propriety: Is it appropriate for the Coast Guard to release the information?
- E4 - 191
Name the Atlantic area Districts.
- 1. 1st
- 2. 5th
- 3. 7th
- 4. 8th
- 5. 9th
- E5 - 3
Name the Pacific area Districts.
- 1. 11th
- 2. 13th
- 3. 14th
- 4. 17th
- E5 - 3
How long was the US involved in WWI?
- April 2, 1917 - November 1918
- E5 - 12
In what year(s) was the Quasi-War fought?
Who were we fighting in the war of 1812?
What was the first war that steam ships were used?
- The Mexican-American War.
What year was the Mexican-American War declared?
- Congress declared war with Mexico on May 13, 1846.
How many years did the Civil War last?
- 4 years, 1861-1865.
In the Civil War our cutters performed what duties in the Navy’s service?
- During the Civil War, our cutters in the Navy’s service performed blockade duty along the Atlantic coast, Chesapeake Bay, and Potomac River. Cutters were involved in the transport of troops and supplies.
What year did Spain declare war on the U.S.?
- Spain declared war on the U.S. on April 24, 1898.
Why did the U.S. enter WWI?
- After German submarines deliberately sunk three American vessels, the U.S. entered World War I.
What year did the U.S. enter WWI?
What Cutter was torpedoed by a German submarine, which causes the loss of all hands?
- The Tampa was torpedoed by a German submarine and all of the crew killed.
Who made the first naval capture of WWII?
- The cutter Northland took the Norwegian trawler Boskoe into “protective custody” and captured three German radiomen ashore.
What is the largest number of immigrants rescued from a single vessel, by what CGC?
- 578 BY THE CGC DAUNTLESS
Who is the only man in history to have received both a Medal of Honor and the Gold Lifesaving Medal?
When did the CG transfer to the Department of Homeland Security?
On March, 1, 2003, the U.S. Coast Guard was officially transferred to DHS.
Who was the first Coast Guard Master Chief Petty Officer?
Master Chief Yeoman Jack Kerwin was the first Coast Guard E-9.
What rating was created because of Alex Haley?
In 1949, Haley transfers to the journalist rate. The rate is created because of his strong writing abilities.
Name the first cutters of the RCS?
- 1. Massachusetts MS SAVVAGED (hint)
- 2. Scammel
- 3. South Carolina
- 4. Argus
- 5. Virginia
- 6. Vigilant
- 7. Active
- 8. General Green
- 9. Eagle
- 10. Diligence
- (E5 42)
Who is credited with saving over 600 lives, earned 2 gold life savings medals, 3 silver?
What Master Chief Petty Officer had 44 years of service, served on 34 vessels?
- Master Chief Boatswain's Mate Donald H. Horsley
What is the form number for a Short Term Training Request?
At what dB level are you required to wear hearing protection?
At what dB level are you required to wear double hearing protection?
What is an important resource that can help you find directives?
- Directives, Publications, and Reports Index (Commandant Notice 5600)
- (E-PME Study Guide E5-140)
What are the Potential SOSO Codes?
- -Flash (Z) - As fast as possible with a goal of 10 minutes.
- - Immediate (O) - 30 minutes
- - Priority (P) - 3 hours
- - Routine (R) - 6 hours
- (E-PME Study Guide E6-79
Define “TOP SECRET”.
Top Secret information requires the highest degree of protection. The unauthorized disclosure of top-secret information could reasonably be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to national security.
Secret information requires a substantial degree of protection. The unauthorized disclosure of secret information could reasonably be expected to cause serious damage to national security.
Confidential information requires protection. The unauthorized disclosure of confidential information could reasonably be expected to cause damage to national security.
How many systematic steps are involved in the ORM process?___ List them:
- 7 steps
- 1. Define mission tasks
- 2. Identify Hazards
- 3. Assess Risk
- 4. Identify Options
- 5. Evaluate Risk vs. Gain
- 6. Execute Decision
- 7. Monitor Situation
What are the 2 different methods developed to assist in the risk evaluation?
- 1. SPE (Severity, Probability, Exposure) Model
- 2. GAR (Green, Amber, Red)
What is the SPE Model for risk?
- Risk for a specific hazard can be assessed utilizing:
- probability, and
How many elements are in the GAR model?___ List them:
- 6 elements
- 1. Supervision
- 2. Planning
- 3. Team Selection
- 4. Team Fitness
- 5. Environment
- 6. Task Complexity
Describe a Class A Mishap.
- $2 million or greater to cutters & aircraft or a (CG boat of $100,000 or more and is missing, abandoned, or not recoverable).
- Fatality or permanent total disability (E6-65)
- Cutter is missing or abandoned or recovery impossible or impractical (ALCOAST 590/10 July 10, 2010).
Describe a Class B Mishap.
- $500,000, but less than $2 million for cutters and aircraft or (Coast Guard boats with repairs of $100,000 or more).
- Injury/illness resulting in permanent partial disability, or 5 or more patients are “inpatient” hospitalized (ALCOAST 590/10)
Describe a Class C Mishap.
- $50,000 but less than $500,000 or CG boats with repairs of $50,000, but less than $100,000. Non-fatal injury resulting in loss of work beyond the workday (ALCOAST 590/10).
- Notify COMDT within 5 days.
Describe a Class “D” Mishap.
- Cost for a shore mishap is $5,000 but less than $50,000 or property damage for an afloat or aviation mishap less than $5,000, or any injury not meeting a “C” mishap. Also, man overboard, accidental firearm discharge, or electric shock.
- Notify COMDT within 5 days
- Note: all fires onboard cutters and boats will now be reported within 12 hours
- “E” mishaps notify COMDT within 5 days (ALCOAST 590/10 July 10, 2010)
What is the difference between a Mishap Investigation and a Legal Investigation?
- Mishap Investigation: Not conducted to place blame or to discipline or punish, but to find why a mishap occurred.
- Legal Investigation: seeks to place blame-looking for possible neglect or misuse by government employees (E6-66)
What information must be included on all correspondence in the Coast Guard because it serves as the file number?
What are the Key Watchwords in the Commandant’s Direction?
- 1. Readiness
- 2. People
- 3. Stewardship
What does the Commandant place as his main focus?
What is C3 Systems?
- Control, and
Why was the position of the Chief Petty Officer brought about?
- With merger of the RCS and the U.S. Life Saving Service in 1915 brought about a need for a position of higher authority.
- When was the position of Chief Petty Officer officially approved by Congress?
- May 18, 1920
Who were the first Coast Guard Chiefs?
- The former station keepers of the Life Saving Stations.
When were Senior and Master Chief Petty Officer pay grades added?
What law added Senior and Master Chief Petty Officer?
Public Law 85-422
What size earrings can be worn?
4-6mm or 1/8-1/4inch diameter
What type earrings are authorized for wear with all uniforms?
Plain gold or silver with a shining or brushed matte finish, plain diamond, or natural white pearl ball studs.
What width is the Tie Bar and how is it to be positioned?
3/16” width and not visible when wearing the service dress blue coat
What is the main guideline for Eyeglasses?
- Frame, lens, and contact lens styles will not be so outlandish as to cause distraction from military bearing. Mirrored lenses are prohibited. Retainer straps are authorized for foreign object damage (FOD) prevention and safety only. If retainer straps are required, they will be plain, black and worn snugly against the back of the head.
- COMDTINST M1020.6F 2-2
Can Music Headphones be worn while in uniform?
- Not worn while in uniform or with a cover except while commuting as a passenger or using public transportation
- COMDTINST M1020.6F 2-2
What should you do with your Operational Dress Uniform (ODU) trousers when wearing boat shoes?
- May be worn straight leg fashion when low- topped shoes or boat shoes are required.
- COMDTINST M1020.6F 3-14
When rolling up the sleeves of the Operational Dress Uniform (ODU) Top how wide should your Cuff be? And how far off of the elbow?
- This results in a 3” cuff about 2” above the elbow. Folds will vary based on the size and length of the arm.
- COMDTINST M1020.6F: 3-22
What is the max bulk of men’s hair?
- What is the max length of a men’s hair?
- 4 inches, can not touch ears, collar or extend below eyebrows when headgear is removed.
What is the max bulk of women’s hair?
Can women’s hair touch the bottom of the collar?
- Yes, but it can not fall below
When a woman wears multiple braids how should they be?
- 1. Uniform appearance
- 2. Small in diameter
- 3. tightly interwoven in symmetrical fore and aft rows that minimize scalp exposure
- 4. Present a neat, professional, well groomed appearance.
If a member has a wavier for a beard, what are the requirements for grooming?
- Facial hair cannot exceed ¼ inch in length
What does the STAAR acronym help you with and what do the letters stand for?
- 1. S- SPREAD OUT
- 2. T- TRANSFER
- 3. A- AVOID
- 4. A- ACCEPT
- 5. R- REDUCE
What Surfman single handedly rescued 10 people from the grounded ship “Priscilla” August 18, 1899 and received the Gold Lifesaving Medal?
- Surfman Rasmus S. Midgett
What cutter made the 1st recorded narcotics seizure?
August 31, 1890 – USRC Wolcott – opium on U.S. flagged steamer George E. Starr E5-26
Who was awarded the Navy Cross Medal for his actions at Manantikau River, Guadalcanal on September 27, 1942?
- Petty officer (later Commander) Raymond J. James
Who was awarded the Bronze star for his heroic actions after his cutter came under attack from friendly aircraft August 1966 in South Vietnam?
- BMC Richard Patterson