9 different things to negotiate in "Mastering Personal Negotiations." (UNWRHHDNN)
- 1. Buying a used car
- 2. Buying a new car
- 3. Planning a wedding
- 4. Negotiation a raise
- 5. Buying a house
- 6. Home repair contract
- 7. Divorce
- 8. New job with large employer
- 9. New job with smaller employer
4 reasons people don't push for the salaries they want. (ULLS)
- 1. It's unpleasant
- 2. Lack of confidence
- 3. Lack of negotiating skills
- 4. Satisfied w/original offer
5 issues Professor Frame's son brought up during his job negotiation.
- 1. Salary
- 2. Stock
- 3. Bonus
- 4. Benefits
- 5. Chance for Promotions
During a job negotiation, assume the offer is...
During your job negotiation, pretend you are...
negotiating for someone else.
During your job negotiation, avoid discussing salary until they...
make an offer.
During your job negotiation, if discuss salary too early you are inclined to...
During your job negotiation, once you have an offer, be prepared to answer the question “...?” using clear, objective standards.
What salary are you looking for?
During your job negotiation, keep your interests...
on the table.
During your job negotiation, do not reveal your... or..., but use your BATNA as... if needed.
BATNA, reservation point, leverage
During your job negotiation, be... – “Here is what it will take. . .”
Problems with email negotiations. (TLLLLMW)
- 1. Takes long
- 2. Less “schmoozing” to build rapport
- 3. Less likely to ask diagnostic questions
- 4. Less sharing of interests
- 5. Less truth-telling/trust
- 6. More misinterpretation
- 7. Worse outcome
Things to do to improve email negotiations. (SSFC)
- 1. Schmooze/ask questions in person/over phone first.
- 2. Set rules and manage the process.
- 3. Finalize agreement in person/over phone.
- 4. Check spelling/grammar.
Advantages of negotiating via email. (AML)
- 1. Allows you to strategize between messages
- 2. More equality in power between partners
- 3. Less social cues
Tips for phone/web conference negotiations. (SCPC)
- 1. Set tone
- 2. Choose quiet location
- 3. Prepare/Define agenda
- 4. Confirm agreement in writing ASAP
Once you have an offer, you should ask for more time to..., but reply in...
make a decision, a timely manner.
Once you have an offer you should be... and...
Once you have an offer, you should get the offer in...
Once you have an offer, you should remember that...
it's not over until it's over.
... out of... companies are willing to negotiate salary, but only... out of... candidates ever try.
8, 10, 3, 10