- (a progressive school)
2) grell, auffällig
sehr blass, fahl
(used about a Person or their face)
(made to be thrown away after being used once for a short time)
(sth that disturbs you or your life when you want to be private)
- an intrusion on / upon / into sth
- (This was another exemple of press intrusion into the affairs of the royals)
- to atone for sth
- (to atone for your crimes)
Busse (Sinn wie Busse tun)
- to allege that...
- (The woman alleged that Williams hat attacked her with a knife)
- (The man was allegedly shot while trying to escape.)
- (The captain of the team wears an armband)
to aspire to sth/to do sth
Ambition, Bestreben; Ziel
- (We'll work on the assumption that the guests will be hungry whend they arrive).
assumption of power
- (You will be paid on completion of the work).
- (There is still faint hope that they will find more people alive).
- (I feel faint - I'd better sit down).
- (He made a faint protest).
die Allgemeinheit, die Öffentlichkeit
leichtgläubig (used about a person: believing and trusting people too easily, and therefore easily tricked)
- (a shirt with a floral pattern on it)
gemustert, mit Muster
nicht essbar, ungeniessbar
- (He's a bit slapdash about doing his homework on time).
sich in ärztliche Behandlung begeben
to undergo (or get) medical treatment
sich etw verstauchen
- to sprain sth
- (To sprain your ankle).
- (There's a very peculiar smell in here).
typisch für jdn sein
- to be peculiar to sb/sth
- (a species of bird peculiar to South East Asia).
- to run sth down
- (Turn the lights off or you'll run the battery down).
das Hinken (nomen), hinken (verb)
- (to) limp
- (To walk with a limp)
wund, verletzt (used about a part of the body)
- (To have a sore throat)
- (A cream to reduce soreness and swelling)
in sich hineinlachen (to laugh quietly)
- to chuckle
- (Bruce chuckled to himself as he read the letter).
jdn mürrisch ansehen
- to scowl at sb
- to look at sb with a scowl
gähnen, das Gähnen
- (to) yawn
- ("How much longer will it take?" he said with a yawn).