The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the use of information systems to gather and analyze data and information from internal and external sources in order to make better decisions.
business that make decisions that can be backed up with verifiable data.
- characterized by three things:
- structured vs. unstructured
transaction data this can fit easily into spreadsheets or databases
clickstreams and sensor data
- comment on social networks
continuous planning process
continuous monitoring of data and continuous updates and adjustments.
- category in which you collect data about
- classes etc
in a table, a row is a
in a table, a column is a
- relational database management systems.
- links tables via relationships to balance efficiency of storage needs, ease of retrieval, an other factors.
map or diagram that represents entities and their relationships
a document explaining several pieces of information for each attribute such as name place and date
document with blanks for customer to input information.
compilation of data from the database that is organized and produced in printed format
used to retrieve data from a database
- Structured Query Language
- most common language used to interface with RDBMS
- systems used to interact with customer and run a business in real time
- for example
- sales order processing
- reservation systems
Online transaction processing (OLTP)
used to handle multiple concurrent transactions from customers.
systems designed to support decision making based on stable point-in-time or historical data
most important data
crucial process or consolidating data from operational systems with other organizational data is
more specific less data than a data warehouse
forms of data stored in organizational databases. When businesses need the right information at the right time
- scheduled reports
- drill down reports
- exception reports
- key-indicator reports
ad hoc queries
- queries created because of unplanned information needs that are typically not save for later use.
- decision makers frequently have information needs that are unforeseen and may never arise again.
online analytical processing (OLAP)
process of quickly conduction complex, multidimensional analyses of data stored in a database that is optimized for retrieval.
data stored on computers main memory instead of hard drive
allows for multidimensional data
Data mining complements OLAP in that it provides capabilities or discovering hidden predictive relationships in the data
find associations within data
process of grouping related records together on the basis of having similar values for attributes, thus finding structure in the data
groups are known beforehand and records area segmented into these classes.
text mining is extracting data from textual documents
web content mining extracts data from web documents
recording a users path through a web site
attract and keep visitors
Decision support system
system used to support a problem
science of enabling information technologies to simulate human intelligence.
uses reasoning methods based on knowledge about a specific problem domain in order to provide advice.
types of intelligent agents
- user agents
- buyer agents
- monitoring and sensing agents
- data mining agents
- web crawlers
- destructive agents
two types of knowledge assets
explicit knowledge assets
reflect knowledge that can be documented.
tacit knowledge assets
reflect the processes and procedures that are located in a person's mind on how to effectively perform a particular task
benefits and challenges of knowledge management systems
- effective deployment requires employees to agree to share their personal tacit knowledge assets
- successful deployment must first identify what knowledge is needed, why it is needed, and who is likely to have this knowledge.
- must be linked to a specific business objective
- must be easy to use
goal of a successful knowledge management system is to facilitate the exchange of needed knowledge between islands mentioned in book.
present key performance indicators used by managers
digital dashboards support three models
exception reporting and alerts
combination of various analysis of techniques and interactive visualization to solve complex problems
geographic information system
system for creating, storing, analyzing, and managing geographically referenced information.