what is style?
- a way (recognizable) to distinguish how something is done or accomplished
- what they do and say in conflict
- a habitual way of communicating
What are 4 conflict styles?
- 1. direct aggression
- 2. cave/ give in
- 3. withdraw
- 4. Compromise/ negotiate
what is personality style?
- stable patterns of thinking and behaving/ acting
- personality and conflict style can change based on who you are in conflict with such as authority, equal or subordinate
Is the personality style and conflict style are always the same?
no not always
what is a bully?
- person who belittles (mentally/ verbally) and or taunts, shames, physically harasses, or is any way harassed, threatens directly or indirectly another person over a period of time.
- exclusion/ isolation spreading rumors and gossip, insult, slurs
what are the reasons someone bullies another?
- they percieve the other person as weak, a threat
- they are competitive, jealous, envious
- they have differences and are looked at as non conforming, unpopular, inferiour
Do people have a bullying bias?
what is a difficult person?
- someone who blames others and avoids taking responsibility
- blame others when it is not their fault
- directly confrontational
- indirectly confrontational
- storms off
- ignores what is said
- raises voice and using a nasty tone
Why are people difficult?
- to have control and be in power
- to achieve an end goal
what is losing face?
what is self image?
- how we see ourselves and what we present to the world
- aesthetics/ style (upscale, trendy athletic)
- choices of style
- what we look and what it means
what is self-concept?
how we think of ourselves (kind, generous, giving)
what is self-esteem?
- how we "feel" about ourselves
- results in our successes/ failures (people think it is a factor)
- whether we like ourselves and who we are
Reasons for a bully to interrupt?
- want to control the conversation
- don't want to hear things they cannot accept
- end the flow of words
what is unearned criticism?
- accused unjustly of generic faults
- making someone feel at fault when they are not
what is the reason behind unearned criticism?
making someone feel at fault when they are not
bullies are all difficult people but are all difficult people bullies?
what are cyber bullies?
- one of the most difficult to deal with
- deals with using technology to bully others
what is mobbing/ psychological terror?
- when a group of people have more credibility than the target
- backhanded comments, insulting, talking about you, ignoring you,
what makes mobbing so difficult?
it expands and moves outside the original circle of bullies
how do bullies disregard victims?
they make claims about the persons mental state
What happens in psychological bullying? (2 things)
- 1. the bully attacks the targets sense of reality asking: is it my fault? did I cause it? Are they right?
- 2. Make observers question: the mental state (sanity), and the overall competence/ legitimacy of the target
What do the bullies do in psychological bullying?
- 1. Claims the target is crazy
- 2. Spread rumors that others believe
- 3. Give or take away responsibilities or assignments (fail)
- 4. Isolation/ exclusion (ignoring) all about power
what does the psychological affect on a target?
emotions, thought processes, self esteem/concept/image, affects how the individual talks, acts, behaves, intense feelings of despair/ hopelessness/ helplessness