The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does a doctype do?
It's an instruction to the web browser about what version of HTML the page is written in.
What's the difference between standards mode and quirks mode?
- There are now three modes used by the layout engines in web browsers: quirks mode, almost standards mode, and full standards mode.
- In quirks mode, layout emulates nonstandard behavior in Navigator 4 and Internet Explorer 5
- In full standards mode, the behavior is (hopefully) the behavior described by the HTML and CSS specifications.
What's the difference between HTML and XHTML?
- XHTML - EXtensible HyperText
- Markup Language: XHTML is HTML redesigned as XML.
- XHTML - must be properly nested, always closed, empty elements must be closed too, lowercase, attributes must be lowercase, attribute minimization is forbidden
Are there any problems with serving pages as application/xhtml+xml?
- Not compatible in ever browser
- browsers will display xml parse errors