1. List four major functions of an OS.
- It manages hardware,
- runs applications,
- provides an interface for users,
- and stores, retrieves, and manipulates files
Using Aero Snap, what happens when you drag a window to the top of the Windows 7 desktop?
The window maximizes
3. How can you add a program icon to the Windows 7 taskbar so the program can quickly be launched at any time?
First locate the program in the Start menu. Then right-click the program and select Pin to Taskbar from the shortcut menu.
4. What might happen to the Windows system if too many services are running, as indicated by multiple icons in the notification area of the taskbar?
The system might slow down and not perform well.
5. What is the keyboard shortcut to the flip 3D view
6. What are the four libraries that Windows 7 creates by default?
Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos libraries
7. What part of a filename does Windows use to know which application to open to manage the file?
The file extension
8. What file extension is used to name a compressed folder?
9. Which folder does Windows use to store files a user puts in the Documents library?
My Documents folder
10. Which Windows 7 edition(s) come only in a 32-bit version?
Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic.
11. What is the memory limitation for a 32-bit operating system?
The OS can address no more than 4 GB of memory.
12. How do you access the Properties box for a f le to change a file attribute?
In Explorer, right-click the file and select Properties from the shortcut menu.
13. What is the program name for the System Information utility?
14. Which Windows 7 window can be used to get a report of the history of problems on a computer?
The Action Center
15. When does a user need to enter a password into the UAC box in order to continue?
When the user is logged on as a standard user
UAC: User Account Control
TC1. What Windows tool can you use to know how much RAM is installed on your system?
Possible answers: System window, System Properties window, System Information
TC2. Mary wants her 32-bit installation of Windows 7 Professional to run faster. She has 4 GB of memory installed on the motherboard. She decides more memory will help. She installs an additional 2 GB of memory for a total of 6 GB, but does not see any performance improvement. What is the problem and what should you tell Mary?
a. She should use Control Panel to install the memory in Windows 7. After it is installed, performance should improve. Tell Mary how to open the Control Panel.
b. A 32-bit OS cannot use more than 4 GB of memory. Tell Mary she has wasted her money.
c. A 32-bit OS cannot use more than 4 GB of memory. Tell Mary to upgrade her system to the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Professional.
d. A 32-bit OS cannot use more than 4 GB of memory. Explain to Mary the problem and discuss with her the possible solutions.
Answer: d. A 32-bit OS cannot use more than 4 GB of memory. Explain to Mary the problem and discuss with her the possible solutions.
3. Jack needs to email two documents to a friend but the files are so large his email server bounced them back as undeliverable. What is your advice?
a. Tell Jack to open the documents and break each of them into two documents and then email the four documents separately.
b. Tell Jack to put the two documents in a compressed folder and email the folder.
c. Tell Jack to put each document in a different compressed folder and email each folder separately.
d. Tell Jack to put the documents on a USB drive and snail mail the drive to his friend.
Answer: c. Tell Jack to put each document in a different compressed folder and email each folder separately.
4. For each of the following programs, identify if the program is an operating system, application, device driver, or utility program: Internet Explorer, Norton Antivirus, Windows 98, and Adobe Photoshop
- Internet Explorer -Application
- Norton Antivirus-utility program
- Windows 98-operating system
- Adobe Photoshop-application