S...Show up, engage, improve, encourage
- A. Show up on scene or invite individual to you.
- B. Engage/state the problem
- C. Improve relationships, situation or performance
- D. Encourage individual (I have confidence in you).
E.. Evaluate, investigate, get facts and underlying issues
- A. Evaluate- look at the situation
- B. Investigate- Ask all parties involved their version of what happened.
- C. Get facts- conduct a jacket review. Ask other Lts.
- D. Underlying issues- JAMF (Job dissatisfaction, Alcohol or drugs, marital problems, financial problems)
R...Report In or Up
- A. Report in- Notify the Watch Commander
- B. Report Up- notify your Captain or other higher ranking official.
G...Give Aid- recommend, Educate, Correct
- A. Give aid- EAP (voluntary or mandatory referral)
- B. Recommend-solutions, resources.
- C. Educate- training, SOP, court liaison, classes.
- Correct- Set goals and develop performance plan (get agreement on goals, and outcome- ask "do you agree"?
E...Enclose and Extract
A. Enclose- contain the problem, Don't let it get any bigger; control rumors.
B. Extract - the problem
A...Apply procedures and determine policy violation.
A. Apply procedures of the Department
B. Policy violation- Determine if department policy was actually violated or not.
N...Note, document, notify
A. Note- make a personal note.
B. Document- on a CP-550 to place in unit file.
C. Notify your supervisor of the outcome and actions taken via memo or email.
A. Do something tomorrow...
- follow-up, roll call training, remain in contact, monitor performance (observe), re-evaluate, meet again.
Extra...Delegate, Deadline, develop
A. Delegate - certain projects to subordinates
B. Deadline- set a deadline for delegated projects
C. Develop-others (in service training, table top exercises..)
Extra...Counsel, coach, care
A. Counsel- individual on performance or other issue.
B. Coach individual on ways to be better or do better.
C. Care- Show compassion.