Contractor's License Law

  1. There are three major types of license classifications currently in use......
    • General Engineering
    • General Building
    • Specialty Contractor
  2. The General Engineering Classification....
    Designed by the letter A

    is designed for contractors whose business involves work which requires specialized engineering knowledge and skill.

    This definition includes the following subjects: Irrigation, drainage, water power, water supply, flood control, inland waterways, harbors, docks, wharves, shipyards, dams, hydroelectric plants, levees, bridges, overpasses, underpasses, pipelines, railroads, highways, roads, tunnels, airports, refineries, chemical plants, industrial plants, powerhouses, sewers, sewage disposal plants, waste reduction plants, parks, trenches, and excavations.
  3. The General Building Classification.....
    • Designated by the letter (B).
    • Is designed for contractors whose work involves the construction or improvement of any structure used for the support, shelter, or enclosure of persons or property.

    This classification covers all building trades which relate to a structure, including the supervision of these trades.

    * There is a restriction which is placed upon the general building (B) license classification which states that a general building contractor's responsibilities on a specific project must involve either capentry or two unrelated building trades.

    * A general building contractor cannot bid on a contract involving only one trade (unless is carpentry) unless he/she is licensed in that specialty classification or unless he/she will be subcontracting the work to a contractor licensed in that specialty classification. Also, a general contractor cannot bid on a job that involves C-16 (Fire Protection) or C-57 (Water Well Drilling) unless he/she is licensed in that classification also, or will be subcontracting the work to a contractor licensed in that specialty classification.
  4. The Specialty Contractor....
    Designated by the letter (C)

    • Classifications which are numbered according to a particular specialties (C-10 Electrical, C-Plumbling, etc.)
    • are designated for contractors whose work requires specialized skill in a particular building trade or craft. Such contractors are licensed only to do work which falls under the scope of their particular classification or is incidental and directly related to this classification.
  5. Exemptions from Licensing Requirements....
    • * Specific types of individuals and businesses are not required to hold a contractor's license.
    • These include the following:

    • 1. Representatives of Federal, State, County, City, or other local governments.
    • 2. Officers of a court acting within the scope of their office.
    • 3. Public utilities doing work related to their own business.
    • 4. Owners or tenants engaged in petroleum or gas operations.
    • 5. Manufacturers of mobile homes and/or any accesory buildings or structures which are not built on site.
    • (NOTE: A license is required to install, alter, or repair these structures on a site.)
    • 6. Sellers or installers of finished products or materials that do not become a fixed part of the structure.
    • 7. Material suppliers or manufactures who furnish products or materials but do not install nor contract to
    • install such iterms.
    • 8. Licensed architects, registered engineers, or licensed structural pest control operators acting within the
    • scope of their license.
    • 9. Employees working for wages as their sole compensation.
    • 10. Individuals or firms who install or service security alarm systems. These businesses are instead licensed
    • by Bureau and Investigative Services. (NOTE: A license is required to install or service fire alarm systems.
    • 11.

    9. Employees working for wages as their sole compensation.
Card Set
Contractor's License Law
Chapter 1 questions & Answers