Top 5 for Handel
- water music
- royal fireworks
- concerti grossi op 6
- Judas maccabaeus
top 5 for bach
- St. thomas passion
- the well tempered clavier
- brandenburg concertos
- toccata and fugue in d minor
- Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott
publicity stunt to boost nationality, popular rhythmic motif drives the work, still popular today
- enduring popularity
- use of choruses
- composed to celebrate the end of the war of the Austrian
- succession. Handel left out string instruments against his will b/c the king preferred
- only wind inst/drums
Concerti Grossi Op 6
newly composed, represented merging of national styles
composed for the king after theEnglish victory at eh battle of Culloden
St. Thomas passion
revival of bach's music popularity
well tempered clavier
technique exercise for intermediate to advanced keyboard students
- contrasts between soloists and small orchestra,
- still popular and performed today,
- many variations onchord progression.
- some of his most famous concerted works.
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
- demonstrates bach’s adeptness at improvisation, variation, counterpoint, and technical skill.
- One of his most famous organ works.
Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott
- based on Martin Luther chorale, written for reformation day.
- exemplifies bach’s cantata style