organic compounds only produced by living organisms (life begets life)
- lab synthesis of urea
- NH3 + N=C-OH --> N=C-O- NH4+ --> H2N-C(=0)-NH2
ammonia + cyanic acid ---> ammonium cyanate ---> urea
modern def of organic cmpd
- compound of carbon (bad b/c CO2 is inorganic)
- SO now they say must have C-C or C-H bond, but urea doesn't.
hydrocarbons vs ionic cmpds
solubility in aqueous solvents:
- reactivity: ionic more, bonds break easier
- mp/bp: hydrocarbon lower (liquid at room temp) b/c only has London forces.
- electrical conductivity: ions are mobile, hydrocarbons don't conduct
- solubility in aqueous solvents: ions yes, hydrocarbons no