What are the 3 Clusters of personality disorders and their characteristics?
- A-odd or eccentric
- B- dramatic or emotional
- C-fearful or anxious
Describe the course of personality disorders?
They are thought to begin in childhood. They are usually chronic w/o treatment and have high comorbidity rates.
Describe paranoid personality disorders and its origins, treatment, and course.
- Pervasive and unjust mistrust for others.
- origins: early beliefs that people and the world is a dangerous place.
- Tx: focuses on dev of trust
- Course: few seek pro help and their are few good outcome studies
Describe schizoid personality disorder and its origins, treatment, and course.
- Pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships. limited in range of emotion in interpersonal situations.
- Causes: not clear
- Tx: Focuse on value of interpersonal relationships, building empathy and social skills
- Course: few seek pro help, lack of good outcome studies
Describe schizoid personality disorders and its origins, treatment, and course.
- behavior and dress is odd, socially isolated, paranoid, magical thinking, illusions, ideas of ref, comorbid with depression
- cause: schizophrenic phenotype, brain deficits
- Tx: dev social skills, address comorbid depression, similar med as schizophrenia
- Course: tx prognosis is poor
Describe antisocial personality disorders and its origins, treatment, and course.
- disregard for others and feelings, irresponsible, impulsive, and deceitful, no regrets
- causes: relation w/conduct disorder and early behavioral problems, families lack consistent discipline and support, history of crime and violence in families
- Treatment: emphasis on prevention and rehab
- course: few seek help, incarceration is often the only option.
What are some theories abt neurobioliogical contributions and treatment?
- underarousal hyp: cortical arousal is low
- cortical immaturity hypothesis: cerebral cortex is not fully developed
- Fearlessness hyp: failure to respond to danger cues