What is the name of the document that regulates the required components of the anesthesia workstation?
What are the 13 anesthesia workstation requirements?
- 1) Battery Backup for 30 mins
- 2) Alarms (high, med, low)(pressure and disconnect alarms)
- 3) Required Monitors (exhaled volume, inspired O2, O2 supply failure alarm)
- 4) hypoxic guard system when N2O in use
- 5) monitor for anesthetic vapor conenctration
- 6) vital sign monitoring
- 7) Pressure in breathing circuit limited to 12.5 kPA/125 cm H2O
- 8) Secure AC connection
- 9) at least 1 O2 cylinder with certain specifications
- 10) Flowmeters
- 11) auxiliary O2 flowmeter
- 12) O2 flush capable of 35-75 L/min
- 13) Vaporizer with certain specifications
How long must the battery backup be?
30 mins - duration depends on consumption
What is the max time a high priority alarm can be silenced?
The straight line on the On/Off toggle =
What must be a characteristic of the AC power cord?
It must be disconnect resistant - usually guarded by a metal L to prevent accidental unplugging.
What do you do if you notice you've lost AC power and have switched to battery power? (4C's)
- 1) Communicate
- 2) Check power cord
- 3) Check outlet
- 4) Conserve Power
What is the primary purpose for the electrical outlets on the back of the machine?
What do you do if your circuit breaker trips on the electrical outlet of your machine?
- 1) Check load and reduce. Make sure there is no OR equipment or heating equipment plugged in.
- 2) Reset the circuit (one per outlet)
What is the path of gas flow through the high pressure system?
- gases from cylinder @ hanger yoke -->
- PISS, nipple, O ring -->
- debris filter -->
- check valve -->
- cylinder pressure gauge -->
- primary pressure regulator
The hanger yoke on the anesthesia machine is made for what size of cylinders?
E or D
What is the safe change pressure for a cylinder?
What should you do if you have a 2 tank system and only 1 O2 tank?
plug the other hanger yoke system with a yoke plug or empty cylinder
What are the 2 types of Hanger Yoke?
- 1) Swinging gate
- 2) Trap Style
What is the primary gas source for the anesthesia machine?
What is the purpose of the primary pressure regulator? Why is this important?
To reduce the pressure from cylinder pressure (up to 2000 psi) to 45-50 psi
It prevents the need for continuous flow adjustments as the tank empties
What is the flow of gas through the intermediate pressure system?
- Gas from pipeline (50-55 psi) or cylinder (45-50) -->
- check valve -->
- filter -->
- gauges indicating pipeline pressure -->
- pressure relief valve -->
- flush valve -->
- master switch -->
- oxygen failure safety device -->
- secondary pressure regulator -->
- flow control valves
What system is used for the entry point of pipeline gas? What is it?
DISS (diameter index safety system)
Each gas has an individualized attachment so that you cannot connect N2O pipeline to O2 gas source
What are the typical US colors for air, N2O and O2?
- Air = yellow
- N2O = blue
- oxygen = green
What is special about the O2 flush valve?
It bypasses the secondary pressure regulator, the master switch, and the flow meters.
It flows at 35-75 L/min
What happens in the tubing when the Master Switch is turned off?
the pressure is vented to zero from the intermediate system and beyond
What is the purpose of the oxygen pressure failure devices? what is the other name for this device?
prevents delivery of a gas mixture that does not contain oxygen
Also called the fail safe device
What is the limitation of the oxygen pressure failure device?
It senses pressure, not flow = if there is an obstruction or source of back pressure this system will not alarm
What is the purpose of the gas selector switch?
prevents air and N2O from being used together
What is the alternate oxygen control?
oxygen flowmeter for use with power or electric failure
What is the flow of gas through the low pressure system?
- flowmeters -->
- vaporizers -->
- auxillary flow meter -->
- common gas outlet -->
- unidirectional valves -->
What is the calibration for glass flowmeters?
760 mmHg, 20 degrees C
In high altitude, will the flow be higher or lower than the reading?
higher flow than reading d/t decreased resistance
What does the flow of gas through the flowmeter depend on?
- 1) pressure drop across constriction
- 2) size of annular opening
- 3) physical properties of the gas
Where is the oxygen flowmeter located? why?
always to the far right (downstream from air and N2O) - if there is a leak in the system, you will lose air or N2O but still deliver the same amount of O2.
What is the purpose of the hypoxia prevention safety device?
It prevents user error from creating hypoxic gas mixtures
Where is the unidirectional check valve located and what is its purpose?
between the CGO and vaporizers
prevents pressure from the breathing portion of the machine from being transmitted to the flowmeters and vaporizers during PPV
When is the APL valve used?
during spontaneous or manual ventilation
When is the only time you will have it closed any?
during positive pressure ventilation