1. Which of these is not a type of access control?
D. A pop-up is a browser window that opens automatically from another browser window. Fingerprint readers are an example of biometric devices, which use physical characteristics for access control.
2. On some Windows servers, is used to manage usernames and passwords.
D. Active Directory is an application that Windows servers use to manage user identities on the network.
3. Which of these passwords is the strongest?
D. A strong password is long, varied, and unusual, containing no guessable words or predictable number patterns.
4. A smart card is a plastic card that contains a(n) .
D. Smart cards contain microchips that can be read by a security system or another chip reader.
5. Which of these is not a biometric authentication method?
A. A smart card does not read any biological characteristic of the person who holds it.
6. When you are connecting to a wireless Internet connection in an airport, which is the best way to categorize that connection for network sharing purposes?
C. When connecting to a public access point, use the Public option in Windows to turn off file and printer sharing for that connection.
7. Which of these is a form of wireless encryption?
D. WPA, or Wi-Fi Protected Access, is one form of wireless encryption for a network. Another is WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), which is older and less secure.
8. Firewalls block unauthorized activity on .
D. Firewalls prevent network ports from being used by unauthorized programs.
9. A criminal who calls you, pretends to be from your bank, and asks you for your Social Security number is using.
D. Social engineering is the technique of tricking a person into providing information that they should keep private.
10. Which of these pieces of information should you never give out to strangers online?
D. All of those pieces of information can be used to steal your identity and should be kept private.
11. A(n) is a plain text file that a web page stores on your hard disk for tracking purposes.
C. A cookie stores information a website can reuse when you visit that site, such as your country preferences, name, and buying history.
12. What is the prefix for a URL for a secure website?
A. The prefix https:// indicates that the secure HTTP protocol will be used for that connection.
13. How does your browser determine whether a security certificate is valid?
A. Certificates are certified by an online authority, which is a company that maintains a database of valid Certificates and their identifying codes.
14. A site that resembles a secure site such as PayPal but that tries to steal your login information is a(n) site.
D. A phishing site is one that masquerades as a legitimate site in order to steal your private information.
15. How can you minimize the threat of operating system vulnerabilities being exploited by hackers?
B. OS updates are the best way to patch vulnerabilities that can lead to exploits that harm your system.
16. What type of attack does the SmartScreen filter in Internet Explorer prevent?
B. The SmartScreen filter is an antiphishing tool.
17. A(n) program pretends to be useful but in fact does something malicious to your system, such as compromising your privacy.
D. A Trojan horse, like its namesake from ancient Greek history, gains your trust by appearing to be something good and then harms you.
18. A cookie that is automatically deleted when you close your web browser is a(n) cookie.
B. A session cookie lasts only as long as your browsing session. A persistent cookie is the opposite: it remains after you close the browser.
19. A(n) is a self-transporting application that carries an active payload, such as a virus or Trojan horse.
C. A worm spreads itself via a network, email, or social engineering. It typically carries some type of malware with it.
20. One way that an antivirus program detects viruses is through a database it maintains of virus .
C. Virus definitions, also called signatures, are used to detect viruses. The antivirus software compares the code in an executable file with the signature of the virus to determine whether the virus is present in that file