physicians have thus developed an interdisciplinary field of _____ _____ that
integrates behavioral knowledge with medical knowledge.
- is a field of psychology that contributes to behavioral
- medicine. The field studies stress-related aspects of disease
What questions does Health psychology ask?
- emotions and personality factors influence the risk of disease?
- attitudes and behaviors prevent illness and promote health and well-being?
- our perceptions determine stress?
- we reduce or control stress?
Stress is not merely a stimulus or a response. It is...
- a process by which we appraise and cope with
- environmental threats and challenges. It prepares us for “fight or flight.”
According to Selye, a
stress response to any kind of
similar. The stressed individual goes
through three phases:
A Personality ...
- is a term used for competitive, hard-driving, impatient,
- verbally aggressive, and anger-prone people
- refers to easygoing, relaxed
True or False
Pessimistic adult men are twice as likely to develop
heart disease over a 10-year period
Reducing stress by changing events that cause stress or
by changing how we react to stress is called ____ ____ ____
Discuss the links among explanatory style, stress and health
People with an
- optimistic (instead of pessimistic) explanatory style tend to have more control
- over stressors, cope better with stressful events, have better moods, and have
- a stronger immune system.
Describe some of the ways that social support
acts as a stress buffer.
- Supportive family members, marriage partners, and close
- friends help people cope with stress. Their immune functioning calms the
- cardiovascular system and lowers blood pressure
Explain the difference between coping with
stress and managing stress.
Discuss the advantages of aerobic exercise as
a technique for managing stress and fostering well-being.
- Many studies suggest that aerobic exercise can elevate
- mood and well-being because aerobic exercise raises energy, increases
- self-confidence, and lowers tension, depression, and anxiety.
_____and meditation reduce tension
____ a Type-A
lifestyle may reduce the recurrence of heart attacks.
Discuss the correlation between religiosity
and longevity, and offer some possible explanations for this link.
Investigators suggest there are three factors that
connect religious involvement and better health think of the chart