What is the FM covering the M16/A2 Rifle?
What is the first thing you should do when you handle a weapon?
Make sure you clear it.
Name the five phases in Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
- 1. Preliminary Rifle Instruction
- 2. Downrange Feedback
- 3. Field Fire
- 4. Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
- 5. Advanced Optics, Laser and Iron Sights
What is the purpose of a weaponeer?
The weaponeer is capable of simulating all of the BRM live fire scenarios without firing rounds. Immediate feedback is available for critiquing the soldier's application of the integrated act of firing while using the weaponeer device to include misfire procedures.
What are the four fundamentals of marksmanship?
- 1. Steady Position
- 2. Proper Aim (Sight Picture)
- 3. Breathing
- 4. Trigger Squeeze
During Preliminary Marksmanship Training (PMI), what are the only two positions taught?
- 1. Individual Foxhole supported.
- 2. Basic Prone unsupported.
What are the two basic elements of the Sight Picture?
- 1. Sight Alignment
- 2. Placing of the Aiming Point
What does the acronym SPORTS stand for?
What is remedial action?
Remedial action is the continuing effort to determine the cause for a stoppage or malfunction and to try to clear the stoppage once it has been identified.
Describe the proper procedure for applying remedial action with the M16/A2.
- 1. Try to place the weapon on safe
- 2. Remove the magazine
- 3. Lock the bolt to the rear
- 4. Place the weapon on safe if it is not already done
Determine the proper procedure for applying immediate action with the M16/A2.
- 1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
- 2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
- 3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action).
- 4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
- 5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
- 6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.
Is SPORTS and Immediate or Remedial Action?
What is immediate action?
Immediate action involves quickly applying a possible correction to reduce a stoppage without performing troubleshooting procedures to determine the actual cause. (SPORTS)
How many times should immediate action be applied to a weapon?
Once. (If rifle still fails to fire, apply remedial action).
What is a malfunction?>
The weapon ceasing to fire due to a stoppage resulting from mechanical failure of the weapon, magazine or ammo.
Name the different categories of malfunctions on the M16/A2.
- 1. Failure to feed, chamber or lock
- 2. Failure to fire cartridge
- 3. Failure to extract
- 4. Failure to eject.
What is stoppage?
A stoppage is a failure of an automatic or semiautomatic firearm to complete the cycle of operation.
How do you clear a stoppage?
Apply immediate or remedial action.
What is the definition of Maximum Effective Range?
The greatest distance at which a soldier may be expected to deliver a target hit.
What does CLP stand for?
- -Cleaner - It contains solvents that dissolve firing residue and carbon.
- -Lubricant - It lays down a layer of teflon as it dries to provide lubrication.
- -Preservative - It prevents rust from forming.
Describe the M16/A2 Rifle.
A 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-fired weapon.
What are the 7 types of ammunition that can be used with the M16/A2 Rifle?
- -M193 - Ball
- -M196 - Trace
- -M199 - Dummy
- -M200 - Blank (Violet tip and 7 petal rose crimp)
- -M855 - Ball (Green Tip)
- -M856 - Tracer (Red Tip)
- -M862 - Short Range Training Ammunition (Plastic with a blue tip)
What are the four steps required in order to mechanically zero the M16/A2?
- 1. Adjust the front sight post (1) up or down until the base of the fron sight post is flush with the front sight post housing (2).
- 2. Adjust the elevation knob (3) counterclockwise, as viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (4) rests flush with the carrying handle and the 8/3 marking is aligned with the index line on the left side of the carrying handle.
- 3. Position the apertures (5) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage knob (6) to align the index mark on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight assembly.
What are the steps required in order to battlesight zero the M16/A2?
- 1. Adjust the elevation knob (1) counterclockwise, as viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (2) rests flush with the carrying handle and the 8/3 marking is aligned with the index line (3) on the left side of the carrying handle. Then adjust the elevation knob one more click clockwise.
- 2. Position the apertures (4) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage knob (5) to align the index mark on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight assembly.
Describe the weights of the M16/A2 Rifle
- -Without Magazine and Sling - 7.78 pounds
- -With Sling and a loaded 20 round magazine - 8.48 pounds
- -With Sling and a loaded 30 round magazine - 8.79 pounds
Describe the max effective rates of fire for the M16/A2 Rifle.
- -Semiautomatic - 45 rounds per minute
- -Burst - 90 rounds per minute
- -Sustained - 12-15 rounds per minute
What is the muzzle velocity of the M16/A2 Rifle?
3,100 feet per second.
Describe the ranges for the M16/A2 Rifle.
- -Maximum Range - 3,600 meters
- -Max Effective Range for a Point Target - 550 meters
- -Max Effective Range for an Area Target - 800 meters
Describe the Barrel Rifling for the M16/A2 Rifle.
Right hand twist 1/7
What is the basic load of ammunition for the M16/A2 Rifle?
210 Rounds total. (7 magazines with 30 rounds in each)
The elevation knob adjusts the point of aim for the M16/A2 Rifle how much?
300 to 800 meters.
What is the overall length of the M16/A2 Rifle?
What are the 8 steps in the functioning of the M16/A2 Rifle?
- 1. Feeding
- 2. Chambering
- 3. Locking
- 4. Firing
- 5. Unlocking
- 6. Extracting
- 7. Ejecting
- 8. Cocking
Describe the procedures for clearing the M16/A2 Rifle
- -Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place the selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is not cocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.
- -Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.
- - To lock bolt open, pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward until it engages bolt catch. Return charging hangle to full forward position. If you have not done so before, place the selector lever on SAFE.
- -Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.
- -With the selector lever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of the bolt catch.
- -Place the selector lever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.
- -Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.
- -Place the selector lever on SAFE.
- -Close the ejection port cover.
How do you perform a functions check on the M16/A1 Rifle?
- 1. Place the selector lever on safe. If the selector switch will not go on safe, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Place the selector lever on safe. Pull the trigger to the rear, the hammer should not fall.
- 2. Place the selector lever on semi. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
- 3. Place the selector lever on burst. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear three times and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.