Solve the word problem
Dimensions of a softball Diamond
A womens fast pitch softball diamond is actually a square 60ft on a side. How far is it from home plate to second base?
Give an exact answer and an approximation to three decimal places.
- 1) Familarize your self - Make a drawing. Note that the first and second baselines, together with a line from home to second,
- form a right triangle. Label the unknown distance d
- 2) translate - use pythagorean equation
- a2 + b2 = c2
- 602 + 602 =d2 3) solve the equation
- 3600+3600= d2
- 7200 = d2
- 4) Check - check calculations using the pythagorean equation:
- 602 + 602 = 7200 and (84.853)2 = 7200