Define customer satisfaction
Customer satisfaction is the principal concern of the quality process. Satisfied customers means customer satisfaction. Its that easy
List six ways to measure customer satisfaction.
Repeat customers and surveys
●Letters of appreciation from customers that are generally not solicited by the company
●New customers obtained by references or “word of mouth”
●Absence of or low rates of customer complaints (although many disappointed customers do not write complaint letters)
●Brand loyalty or name loyalty
●Increasing business (an indicator that may not give a direct true measure ofcustomer loyalty)
List four variables used in customer satisfaction surveys.
●Wait time of the service
●Courteousness of the service
●The availability of the object the customer seeks
Describe two things a company can do to keep
1. Keep prices reasonable. This does not mean that the company keeps the prices at the lowest levels.
2. Give improved service. The word service means different things to different businesses.
Why is having customers who are advocates more important than just having satisfied customers?
- Advocates are customers who feel a strong
- connection to a product or service and will actively endorse it to others. They are so impressed with a company that they are willing to stake their own reputation on endorsing the product to their friends
Describe how angry customers walking away affect future business
- One disappointed customer can spread a tale
- of anger and disappointment to about ten other people and influence about five of them not to shop at your store
Why is employee empowerment important for a
Because employees must be empowered to make the needed process and organizational changes. Only through employee empowerment can the full strength of a company’s workforce be used to sustain the company in its unending battle against competitors.
____________ is the most important concept in TQM
Explain how involvement is different from
- With employee involvement, every employee is
- regarded as a unique human being, and is involved in helping the organization meet its goals. People talk about employee empowerment in many different ways, but the basic concept is to give employees the means for making important decisions correctly. When this process is done right, the results are heightened productivity and a better quality of work life.
List three ways to motivate employees
People faced with starvation or exposure would only be motivated by attaining those goals that would eliminate the threat of physical destruction. A person in this situation would not be too concerned about higher-order motivations, such as love or esteem. Once survival becomes a relatively sure thing, individuals move up the hierarchy of needs and take steps to assure their own safety. Once that need has been met, they continue to move up the hierarchy of needs to search for love, and then the esteem of one’s associates, and then, finally, self-actualization(to be all that they can be).
Explain the difference between empowerment and development
- Employee development is a building block for
- employee empowerment. Development of the
- employee is having the right training and knowledge. Empowerment is using that training and knowledge in order to make tough decisions
Explain why development is important to employee empowerment
Usually an active employee development training program is required to nurture employee empowerment. Development consists of the training received when people are hired, and all future training as business plans and equipment changes. An employee with little training is an undeveloped employee
List three ways a company can motivate its
Many companies motivate through monetary rewards (bonuses) if certain goals above and beyond normal goals are met. Two other ways companies can motivate are through recognition and advancement
Explain the purpose of teams
A team is a group of people pooling their skills, talents, and knowledge to accomplish goals or tasks
Describe the advantages of a team over an equal number of individuals
- Individuals using quality improvement practices
- can contribute to an organization, but rarely does a single person have enough knowledge or experience to understand everything that goes on in a process. Because the individual’s ability to contribute is limited, major gains in quality and productivity most often result from teams. With proper training, teams can tackle complex problems and come up with effective, permanent solutions. Individuals can rarely do this
List four basic elements essential for a team’s
Mutual support, commitment, enthusiasm, and pooling skills
List the stages of team development
Forming, Storming, Norming, and performing
List four effective meeting management
- ●Participant selection
- ●Agenda preparation
- ●Statement of objective
- ●Action assignments
Explain what is meant by the sentence, “A highly effective team is not possible with low-talent people.”
- Teams perform best when teammates bring
- a variety of abilities, experiences, personalities, and problem-solving approaches
Explain the importance of diversity
People are different in their politics, religion, race, choice of music and food, interests, and so on. They all bring different talents to the team. Diversity can make teamwork seem more difficult at first, but it produces a more powerful unit. Team members must make conscious efforts to use the unique talents of everyone on the team.
Describe what win-win thinking means
Domination does not foster participation or support. The greater the level of participation in a team meeting, the more likely all team members will support the final decision because they had a hand in developing it. All walk away with their egos intact and feeling supportive of the team and its objectives
Explain how communication affects quality
Communication also directly affects quality. Correct instructions, procedures, bills of lading, and exchange of information between workers are critical for customer satisfaction and for preventing waste
One way to prevent poor oral communication is to have the listener restate the message. Restatement by a listener is called feedback
Explain why feedback is important
Feedback (1) verifies that the listener has correctly understood the speaker’s message, and (2) allows the listener to react (show anger, enthusiasm, and so on) to what has been said, yielding information to the speaker
___________ is 50 percent of oral communication
Write a definition of body language
Body language is a way to speak or communicate through movements or gestures. People even do it unconsciously to express their feelings
Why is body language important?
- Humans have body language with a range of
- unconscious physical movements that can either strengthen or damage communication. Body language is very hard to fake, which is why people become suspicious when someone’s body language contradicts his spoken word
Explain the importance of gestures in
- Gestures, together with other nonverbal
- communication such as posture and facial expressions, are an important part of body language. Certain gestures go along with speech. Hands are used to shape sentences, to draw a picture in space, to strengthen or deny a statement
Explain why personal effectiveness is important
to the individual
Personality traits, such as an inability to work with others, are unprotected by law. We live in a highly technical society, and that technology keeps changing. Those changes require people to constantly be involved in learning. Some people, once hired and trained for the job, decide they are through learning anything new. These people hurt efficiency in the workplace
Describe how you could increase your value as a process operator
Employees need to add value to their companies by contributing more than they cost. Employees often mislead themselves and assume they are entitled to keep their jobs if they are merely responsible and do good work
List five responsibilities employees have for
their own personal effectiveness
All employees should assume personal responsibility for upgrading their job performance. Their productivity, response time, quality, cost control, and customer service should all show steady gains
_____________ means continuous improvement
Give three reasons why employees should develop their talents
To make your work process more successful, Protect your job by adding value, and to be recognized as a problem solver. Developing your talents helps with having job security
List four needs employees require to excel at
- ●Economic security—We must feel that we’re getting a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work.
- ●Personal esteem—We all want to be viewed as value-added elements to the organization. No one wants to be thought of as just average or below average.
- ●Personal worth—We need to feel that we’re contributing to a worthwhile goal. Learn the goals of your organization.
- ●Personal contribution—We want to be listened to and have our ideas heard.