What is the biggest rule to keep in mind for forcible entry?
Try before you pry
What are some general carrying tips for tools?
- Request assistance with heavy tools
- Use your legs to lift heavy tools
- Keep sharp edges away from your body
- Carry long tools pointed down
- Be aware of wires
What are the types of forcible entry tools?
Striking, prying/spreading, cutting, hydraulic, lock, and pushing/pulling
What are the basic components of a door?
Door, jamb, hardware, and locking mechanism
What are the types of wood doors?
Slab, ledge, and panel
Describe a solid-core wood door
Consist of a solid wood core covered by a face panel
Describe a hollow-core wood door
Consist of a lightweight honeycomb interior covered by a panel
Describe ledge doors
Slabs of wood with horizontal bracing (similar to a barn door)
Describe a wood panel door
Solid wood doors made from wooden planks to form a rigid frame with solid wood panels set inside the frame
What are the two types of metal doors?
Solid-core and hollow-core
Describe a solid-core metal door
Foam or wood interior to reduce weight without affecting strength, covered in a metal sheet
Describe a hollow-core metal door
Metal framework interior so they are lightweight covered with a metal sheet
What are the types of doors?
Inward-swinging, outward-swinging, sliding, revolving, and overhead
What must you do whenever you force open a door?
Prop it open/put on a rubber latch strap to ensure it doesn't close again
What are the types of windows?
Jalousie, awning, double-hung, single-hung, horizontal sliding, projected (factory), and casement
What are 4 safety concerns for breaking windows?
- Wear PPE with face and eye protection
- Clear area of personnel
- Co-ordinate with fire attack to prevent backdraft and flare-ups
- Clear window frame of all glass shards
What are the types of glass construction?
Regular, laminated, plate, tempered, and double/triple pane
What process should you follow prior to forcing entry?
- Double check the address
- Look for a lockbox
- Evaluate the threat level
- Consider entry with the least amount of damage
- Work in a co-ordinated fashion with team members
Name three things related for forcible entry and salvage?
- Try to keep damage to a minimum
- Secure the structure before leaving
- Ensure owner/RP has been contacted to secure the building
What are the four categories of locks?