Equine Management - Week I
what are the six roles of an RVT/LVT in equine medicine?
1. assist in diagnosis/treatment
2. assist with pre-op/post-op care in clinic and field
3. assist with pre-breeding and/or pre-purchase exams
4. coggins testing (EIA)
5. herd health work
what are the four diseases an RVT/LVT assists in diagnosis and treatment?
1. respiratory diseases
2. digestive diseases/colic
4. reproductive diseases
what is included in a pre-purchase exam?
auscultation of lungs, heart, digestive system
test for lameness
radiographs if needed
what five areas are included in herd health?
2. deworming/pasture management
4. neonatal care
what is the name of the first horse 55 million years ago?
what is another name for eohippus?
what are the five descriptions of eohippus?
1. 10-20" tall
2. 4 toes on front
3. 3 toes on hind
4. teeth were simple crowns
5. browser not grazer - lived in forest
what is the name of the horse 35 million years ago?
what is another name for mesohippus?
what are the four descriptions of mesohippus?
1. 20" tall
2. each foot had 3 toes (middle was largest)
4. teeth grew bigger
when did eohippus live?
55 million years ago
when did mesohippus live?
35 million years ago
what is the name of the horse 26 million years ago?
what are the four descriptions of merychippus?
1. 40" tall
2. middle toes larger ending in hoof and bore all the weight
3. time of mountain development - thinning of forest
4. horse started grazing - teeth developed high crowns and good cementum for grinding course grasses
when did merychippus live?
26 million years ago
what is the name of the horse 2-3 million years ago?
what is another name for merychippus?
what is another name for pliohippus?
what are the four descriptions for pliohippus?
1. taller - equivalent to modern horses
2. side toes became bones on side of legs (splint bones)
3. teeth changed to adapt to eating grass
4. eyes wider for better vision
what is the name of the modern horse?
what is another name for equus?
when did pliohippus live?
2-3 million years ago
what are the two descriptions for equus?
1. middle toe has terminated into stout hoof
2. teeth high crowned, continually growing
what are the three undomesticated species of horse?
1. zebra of Africa
2. wild ass of Africa and Asia
3. Przhevalski's horse
when did equus die out in the Americas?
which toes are missing on the horse?
1 and 5
what was the purpose of the horse for prehistoric man?
when did horses become domesticated?
what were the forerunners of the swift Arabian breeds of the Middle East?
Egyptian and Babylonian horses
what horse was the ancestor of the modern draft horse?
what horse was the prototype of the modern pony?
when were the first domestic horses introduced to the Americas?
16th century Spanish Conquistadores
What horses descended from the Spanish Conquistadore import?
Mustangs in western US
who is the father of horsemanship?
when were Arabian stallions imported to England thereby giving rise to breed improvements?
what are the three foundation sires for the Thoroughbred?
1. Byerly Turk
2. Darley Arabian
3. Godolphin Barb or Arabian
when was the British Stud Book established?
when was the American Stud Book established?
when was the first public racecourse built? what was the name and where was it built?
1174, Smithfield Track, London
when and where was the first track built in North America?
1665 Long Island
when and where was the Jockey Club incorporated?
1894 New York City
why has the equine population declined?
development of mechanical transportation
Equine Management - Week I
Equine - Joyce Brod