When you follow-up to an item what are some things you should say you are following up to?(5)
1. Ensure the work is done to standards
2. Find out if you were correct about the source of the problem
3. To see if there is a new problem created by solving the original one
4. See if goals were accomplished
5. To allow redirection or commendation
Things you should do when delegating a task...(5)
1. Give clear guidelines / Standards /expectations
2. Set a due date
3. Plan for follow-up
4. Redirect if needed
5. Commend if done correctly
Questions to ask yourself about who or if a task should be delegated...(6)
- 1. Who should be doing the task?
- 2. Who could help?
- 3. Who should not be doing it?
- 4. Neg outcome if someone else does it other than you?
- 5. Is it the best use of super's time?
- 6. Is there something more urgent to be done?
- Problem Analysis
Things to think about with problem solving (6)
- 1. Identify the problem
- 2. Use behavioral clues, observable, measurable not attitudes or feelings
- 3. Decide what you would like to happen
- 4. See both sides
- 5. Show desire to accept responsibility
- 6. Step in and try to solve not just tell super
Considerations: Things you should consider before making a decision (4)
1. What must you do or not do because of rules, policy procedures etc..
2. Show your thought process of why you are making the decision
3. Personal philosophy, essential principles, ethical issues, beliefs of why you made that choice
4. I considered this....but I applied this as a guide...and I decided ...
Training: is considered the best example of positive discipline
If they knew more about....maybe this would not have happened
Who needs the training? you, employee, client, community..etc
Solutions: 4 good questions to ask yourself
1. What needs to be done?
2. Who will be implementing the plan?
3. When will the elements of the plan take place?
4. How will the plan be implemented?
Most effective candidates have more than general ideas for a solution
They have options, plans for implementation,contingency plans, and a goal
Clearly indicate what action they will ____, to _____ and _____.
Inform: 4 Questions
1. Who must know?
2. Who could benefit by knowing?
3. Who could be informed as a courtesy?
4. How will you inform them? Email, phone, memo or face to face?
Conflict Resolution Skills (3)
1. Active listening to understand fully
2. Mediation-To help increase a wider perspective
3. Show empathy, sensitivity redirection.
Good rules to go by to prioritize tasks to be handled: (6)
- 1. Officer Safety
- 2. Organizational Liability
- 3. Response to crime Concerns
- 4. Response to community needs (other than crime)
- 5. Response to employee needs (not officer safety)
- 6. Response to organizational requests, unless urgent or critical
Rules of Reprimand: (6)
- 1. Let them know expectations before hand
- 2. Deal with it as soon as someone has done something wrong
- 3. Specify exactly what was done wrong
- 4. Don't attack person only the behavior
- 5. Be consistent
- 6. Honestly remind them of their value