Involves reactions where one element transmutes into another
Reactions that involve changes in the nucleus of an atom
a (alpha) – readily absorbed, 2+ charge,4/2 He , large (relative) mass 6.65x10-24 g
- - either way of writing it is ok.
- - Relatively large mass in comparison to other types of radiation
- b (beta) – more penetrating, 1- charge, , less massive 9.11x10-28g
- - both ways of writing it is also ok. They are qeuivalent
- g (gamma) – highly energetic, no charge, no mass
All types of radiation are highly energetic. This energy is transferred to any material the radiation contacts. This is the cause of the damage radioactivity creates.
natural change of isotope of one element to isotope of another element
Radon-222 to Polonium-218 by emission of an a particle
Make sure to find the atomic number to complete the reaction
Rn --> Po + He
Most penetrating type of radiation
Radioactive Decay Series
A radioactive element decays to another radioactive element. This new radioactive element decays to another. This continues until a non-radioactive element is produced (and thus, the series ends) Each element that is produced after a decay in a radioactive decay series is usually radioactive in itself so it allows for another decay to occur. That’s why it is able to go through