RPD week 2
What are the five parts of RPD metal framework? What is the recommended design sequence for the five parts?
Minor Connectors/Proximal Plates
Denture Base Connectors
Which three parts of RPD metal framework require/or may require mouth preparation?
Establish path of insertion/withdrawal
Establish support, stability, and retention
Provide clearance for RPD framework material
What are the four objectives of mouth prep for RPD metal framework?
• to obtain parallel guiding surfaces
• to achieve positive rests
• to remove excessive undercut/lower the height of contour
• to create desired undercut for retention
• What is surveying? What is the objective of surveying?
analysis and comparison of the prominence of intraoral contours associated with the fabrication of a prosthesis
• What is a surveyor?
An instrument used to determine the relative parallelism of two or more surfaces of the teeth or other parts of the cast of a dental arch.
• What is a good starting position of the cast for surveying?
make guiding surfaces as parallel as possible on RPD abutments (adjacent to the edentulous space(s) )
• What is MAP? Which three factors you need to consider during your surveying to
determine the map?
Most Advantageous Position
best possible path of insertion of RPD that requires the least amount of tooth reduction
• What is a diagnostic rod?
check the parallelism of guiding planes & evaluate the height of contour of the teeth and the soft tissue at a given position
What is the 0.01” undercut gauge?
provide measurement of the depth of undercut areas which can be utilized for retention
Describe three possible methods to manage the lack of retention areas
1. Check the circumferential contour of the whole tooth during survey Retention areas may be found on the other side of the tooth
2. Create a “dimple” retention area by enamoplasty
3. Crown the tooth
• Describe how to manage the excessive retention areas
Require tooth alteration to lower the height of contour so we can keep the I-bar retention contact close to the cervical 1/3 or 1/2
• What is the purpose of carbon rod and reinforced metal sleeve?
mark the height of contour of teeth & soft tissue at a given position
• What is survey line?
line produce on a cast by the surveyor marking the greatest prominence of the contour in relation to the planned path of placement of a prosthesis
• What is the purpose of tripoding?
Describe two methods to tripod your cast.
1. Score/mark 3 horizontal lines with 0.01” undercut gauge mounted at a fixed surveyor arm vertical height
2. Metal post technique
Retention areas of the mandibular molars often locate on the __________
RPD Treatment Plan & Design
1. Ideal RPD design
2. Survey, determine MAP, tripod
3. revise RPD design based on surveying
RPD week 2
RPD week 2