The big ten languages
- -4000 languages (at least)
- -1/5 or 750 languages occur in Papua New Guinea
Top three tropical languages
- -A language mutually understood and commonly used in trade by people who have different native languages
- -Bahasa Indonesia: simple, common lang in Indonesa. no prefixes or suffixes, past or future
- -Pidgin: spoken throughout PNG
Where is English spoken in the tropics?
Oz, Singapore, India, Jamaica, Barbados, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Uganda, PNG, Namibia, Vanuatu
Where is French spoken in the tropics?
French Polynesia (Tahiti), New Caledonia, Vietnam, Laos, West Africa, Madagascar, Haiti, Guadeloupe, French
Where is Portuguese spoken in the tropics?
Brazil, Angola, Cape Verde, Mozambique
Where is Spanish spoken in the tropics?
latin and south america
how to say hello and thanks
- -spanish: hola, gracias
- -portuguese: Bon dia, Obligada
- -french: bonjour, merci
- -swahili: jambo/mambo, ansante
- -tamil: vaanga, nandri
- -thai/lao: sawatdee, khawp khun (plus kaw or krap for f or m)
- -indo/malay: selamat pagi, terima kasih
- -pidgin: moning, tenkyu
- -hawaiian: aloha, mahalo
- -Traveler's diarrhea
- *drink bottled water!
- -tape worms
- -traveler's diarrhea
- *eat meat well done, only eat fruits you can peel
5 ways to prevent mosquito bites/malaria
- -stay away from malaria outbreak areas
- -stay inside sunrise and sunset
- -mosquito net
- -DEET 100%
- -take the pills
Animal annoyances: What to watch out for
- 1. leeches
- 2. chiggers & ticks
Crime annoyances: What to do to prevent crime
- 1. dont bring valuables
- 2. low key backpack
Why should we care about forest biomass?
- 1. Carbon sequestration
- 2. Forest productivity
- 3. decomposition
Islands act as great outdoor labs because
- 1. they are isolated
- 2. everything happens fast