In what century did Christopher Columbus land in the New World?
14th 15th 16th not shown
About how many years passed between Columbus's voyage and Cook's discovery of Australia?
about 350 much more than 350
not quite 300
not quite 300
When did Cortes defeat the Aztecs?
Which event happened before Cortes defeated the Aztecs?
Jamestown was settled
Cook discovered Australia
Columbus discovered America
Columbus discovered America
Which is LEAST likely to be found in Europe today?
What was the Columbian Exchange?
* Sending food & people from the Old World to the New Word
* sending animals & plants from the Old World to the new world
* the moving of animals, plants, people and diseases from Central and South America to North America
*the moving of animals, plants, people and diseases from the Old World to the New World and from the New World to the Old World
the moving of animals, plants, people and diseases from the Old World to the New World and from the New World to the Old World
What environmental disaster occurred in 1986 in Chernobly, Ukraine?
* a nuclear reactor explosion
* acid rain caused by engine exhaust
* the great smoke from coal-burning factories
* death of forests due to water pollution from mining
a nuclear reactor explosion
What was one result of colonization of Canada by Europeans?
* Europeans are no longer welcome in Canada
* Canada's official languages are English and French
* Great Britian has no relationship with Canada in the 21st century
* the Canadian Revolution removed the French and the English from power
Canada's official languages are English and French
One difference between the German and Russian languages in that German
* does not use the Cyrillic alphabet
* is spoken by fewer people than Russian
* has not been spoken in Europe since WWII
* is spoken in only one country in Europe and russian is spoken in several
Does not use the Cyrillic alphabet
Because most economies have characteristics of the command and market economy, we say they are
* free * communist
Why did Prince Henry the Navigator want to send ships south to Africa?
* He hoped to learn more about marine life
* He wanted to prove the world was not flat
* He felt his father, the king, would be proud
* He wanted a route around Africa to the Asian markets
He wanted a route around Africa to the Asian markets
Who claimed Australia for Great Britian?
* George III
* Captain James Cook
* Christopher Columbus
* Prince Henry the Navigator
Captain James Cook
What is one effect of slavery that influences Latin America today?
* Many Latin Americans have ancestors from Africa
* Slavery exists in few Latin American Countries
* Latin America has no people with ancestors from Africa
* The people of Latin America accept slavery as part of their lives
Many Latin Americans have ancestors from Africa
Which two European countries contributed most to the languages of Latin America?
* Englan and Spain
* Spain and Portugal
* France and Portugal
* England and Portugal
Spain and Portugal
Which feature is located near the 3 on the map?
Map is of Eruope/Asia/Africa
Which condition helped the United Kingdom become a leader in world trade?
* Two percent of its people are farmers, and there is a lot of arable land
* the island has a mild climate and is located near many other countries
* It is home to the world's busiest airport and has seven other large airports
* Urban areas are heavily populated, and most jobs are found in the urban areas
the island has a mild climate and is located near many other countries
Which number on the map marks Russia?
What has helped Italian merchants become successful traders?
* the location of the Alps mountains is a defense against othe countries
* the islands of Sicily and Sandinia are not far from the coast of western Italy
* warm air from the Sahara desert creates a warm, dry summer for most of Italy
* Italy is located on the Mediterranean Sea with access to Africa, Asia and Europe
Italy is located on the Mediterranean Sea with access to Africa, Asia and Europe
A country that invests in human capital will have a more successful economy because
* there will be more money to pay its workers
* workers will learn the skills they need on their own
* businesses will not pay taxes to pay for good schools
* workers who are educated, skilled and healthy are more productive
Workers who are educated, skilled and healthy are more productive
Which pairing of sacred text and religion is correct?
Judaism - Torah
Christianity - Talmud
Muslim - Old Testament
Roman Catholic - Koran
Judaism - Torah
Which is located at the place marked with a I on the map?
Great Barrier Reef
A main purpose of NAFTA was to
* increase trade by creating a large free-trade zone
* create tariffs between Canada, Mexico and the United States
* keep people in one country from buying goods from the other countries
* decrease the standard of living for some people while raising it for others
increase trade by creating a large free-trade zone
Which situation might keep an embargo against a country from being successful?
* People in the country suffer because trading has stopped
* the country does not need to trade with other countries
* the country is able to find other trading partners not in the embargo
* People in the country don't care whether their country trades with other countries
the country is able to find other trading partners not in the embargo
Which of the countries has the least freedom to do business?
about the same in each
Which was a cause of the Russian Revolution?
* the czar was executed
* there were food shortages in Russia
* the Germans showed signs of surrender
* soldiers did not know how to use their weapons
there were food shortages in Russia
What marked the end of the Cold War?
* the rule of Gorbachev
* the creation of Russia
* the break up of the Soviet Union
* the destruction of the Berlin Wall
the destruction of the Berlin Wall
Which country is marked by the 5 on the map? (Map of US and South America)
Which number marks the country of Brazil?
Map of US and South America
2 3 5 6
3 (right side of South America)
Which feature is located near the "6" on the map? (Map of Canda/US/South America)
Sierrs Madre Mountains
Atacama Desert (left side of South America)
What number marks the Gulf of Mexico
1 2 3 5
2 (between Texas and Florida)
Which solution is a way that the government is trying to reduce pollution in Mexico City?
* ignoring cars with exhaust problems
* reducing the number of buses and trains
* making sure the population continues to grow
* increasing the number of cars that produce little or no air polution
increasing the number of cars that produce little or no air pollution.
What almost caused a nuclear attack between the United States and the Soviet Union?
* Pres. Kennedy did not like the leader of the Soviet Union
* the Soviet Union wanted to show the Cubans that they were strong friends
* Castro allowed the Soviet Union to build a nuclear missile launch complex in Cuba
* the United States wanted the sugar cane crop that the Soviet Union was buying from Cuba
Castro allowed the Soviet Union to build a nuclear missile launch complex in Cuba
What did the Zapatistas do to show they were against NAFTA?
* attacked government troops in Mexico City
* Took over several towns in Mexico City
* formed friendships with groups in other countries with similar goals
* Worked with the government on agreements to improve the rights of poor Mexicans
Took over several towns in Mexico City
Which 2 European countries contributed most to the languages of Cuba?
England and Spain
Spain and Portugal
England and France
France and Portugal
England and France
What is the goal of the independence movement in Quebec?
* for Quebec to have its own monarch
* for Quebec to be an independent country
* to have Quebec become a part of France again
* to have the rest of Canada become French-speaking
for Quebec to be an independent country
Which term describes how political power is distributed in Brazil?
Which statement is TRUE about how the president in a presidential democracy is different from a prime minister in a parliamentary democracy?
* the prime minister is the head of state for the country, but the president is not
* the prime minister is the chief executive and head of the military, but the president is not.
* the prime minister is elected directly by the people, but the president is elected by the legislature
* The prime minister is chosen from the members of parliament, but the president runs for the office separately
The prime minister is chosen from the members of parliament, but the president runs for the office separately
Canada has to work with the United States to solve the problem of acid rain because the United States
* is the source of much of Canada's air pollution
* purchases many of the goods that Canada produces in it factories
* has reduced the amount of acid rain and understands how to solve the problem
* is careful to keep air pollution from leaving the United States and entering Canada
is the source of much of Canada's air pollution.
Which condition makes it easy for Canada to trade with the United States?
* The countries share a border over 3,000 miles long
* Canada has easy access to seven major ports on three oceans
* the countries have abundant natural resources and a long growing season
* Canada has many natural resources and goods that are not available in the US
The countries share a border over 3,000 miles long
What do these statements explain?
signs bills into law. is commander-in-chief of the military, acts as head of state for Australia and approves elections
* duties of the Queen in Australia
* duties of the Australian prime minister
* actions taken by judges in the High Court of Australia
* actions that are not a part of the Australian government
duties of the Queen in Australia
Who has the most political power in the Australian government?
High Court judge
Which question can be answered using the graph? (graph of Native languages of people in France)
* How many people in France speak Italian
* How many people in France speak French
* What percent of the French population speaks English a second language?
* What part of the French population speaks English as a second language
What percent of the French population speaks English a second language?
What part of the people in France speaks French as their native language?
What is an advantage of a savings account over a checking account?
* Savings accounts are easier to get
* Savings accounts can be used to guarantee loans
* Savings accounts pay a higher rate of interest
* Savings accounts provide more protection for your money
savings accounts pay a higher rate of interest
Why are Spanish and Portuguese the main languages of Latin America?
People from Spain and Portugal colonized Latin America
Which of the following is usually TRUE about a country's literacy rate and its standard of living?
* a low literacy rate goes along with a low standard of living
* a low literacy rate goes along with a high standard of living
* increasing the standard of living means decreasing the literacy rate
* decreasing the standard of living means increasing the literacy rate
a low literacy rate goes along with a low standard of living
Which country has an economic system closest to a pure market economy?
Which country's businesses have the most government control?
Which is MOST important to helping Brazilian businesses trade with other countries in the world?
* the Amazon River allows ships to travel inland to the Andes
* There are seven major seaports along Brazil's Atlantic coast
* Brazil shares a border with very few South American countries
* Brazil does not have many natural resources to trade with other countries
- There are s
- even major seaports along Brazil's Atlantic coast
Which feature is closest to the 3 on the map?
Map of US/Canada/South America
3 is just above the US border in Canada on the left side
Lake Superior Canadian Shield
Rocky Mountains St. Lawrence River
Which feature is located nearest the 1 on the map?
map of US/Canada/S.America
1 is a water feature in Canada
* Artic Ocean * Hudson Bay
* Lake Huron * Atlantic Ocean
Which statement explains what these sentences are about?
the lawmaking bodies are divided into 2 houses; all have some part of their lawmaking body elected by the people; each divides the jobs of head of state and head of government (cheif executive):
* they describe the governments of European countries
* they tell how the countries of Europe choose their leaders
* they explain how the EU countries must set up their leaders
* they are ways that the government of Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom are alike
they are ways that the government of Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom are alike
In which form of government would be the fewest number of people be involved in making the rule of law?
The statements describe the government of which country?
(constitutional monarchy, federation, parliamentary democracy. great personal freedom)
* Cuba * Russia * Canada * Great Britian
Why is the southern part of Canada the region where most Canadians live?
* it is closest to the United States
* it has the most favorable climate
* most of the ports are in southern Canada
* mountains cover most of northern Canada
it has the most favorable climate
Which type of economy is LEAST likely to be found in the countries of Europe?
Why is it important for a country to invest in human capital?
* a country needs money in order to pay its workers
* workers enjoy getting extra training and job opportunities
* businesses cannot do all the training needed by workers to be successful
* a country's economy is more successful when workers have good education and health care
a country's economy is more successful when workers have good education and health care
Why would a country spend money to buy new machines for its factories rather than continue to use older machines that were still working?
* older machines cannot be run well by younger workers
* older machines do not produce as much pollution as newer ones
* New machines might help the company produce more goods at a lower price
* new machines would cost the company a lot of money but would provide jobs for workers
New machines might help the company produce more goods at a lower price
The United Kingdom is to Parliament as Germany is to...
Which is a reason the European Union was created?
* to isolate Russia and make it more difficult for it to trade
* to practice reaching consensus among European countries
* to promote the French frame as a common currency for Europe
* to make Europe more competitive in world markets and to solve common problems
to make Europe more competitive in world markets and to solve common problems