What is a mathematical model?
The Simplification of the real world
What are the advantages of a mathematical model?
Its quick and easy
can be simplified
help provide control
enable prediction about future
What are the disadvantages of a mathematical model?
only give partial description of real solution
only work for a restricted range of values
Stages of mathematical model are...
1. Real world prob observed
2. math model devised
3. model used to make prediction
4. Experimental data collected
5. Compare pridiction and observed outcome
6. Stats test to see how well model describe real world
7. model can be refined if needed
What is a continuous variable?
Variable that can take any value in a given range
what is a discrete variable?
Values only taking a specific value in a given range.
Stats for dummies