- Oxidation Is Loss
- Reduction Is Gain
any device in which chemical energy can be converted to electrical energy or vice versa
- Redox is spontaneous and exothermicoxidation and reduction occur in 2 separate cellsBattery
- redox reaction is non spontaneous and endothermicboth oxidation and reduction in 1 cellused for electrolytic reduction, electroplating
- electrons are lost
- Voltaic - negative
- (VAN Voltaic Anode is Negative)
- Electrolytic - positive
- (APE - Anode Positive in ELectrolytic)
- Electrons gained
- Voltaic - cathode is positive
- electrolytic - cathode is negative
How Electroplating Works
- Battery provides energy needed for nonspontaneous reaction.
- When switch is closed, electrical energy will force oxidation and reduction reactions to occur.
- At the Anode, Ag loses e- and becomes Ag+At the cathode, Ag+ gains e- and becomes Ag. The silver is coated onto the spoon.