What controls the hormonal regulation of sleep?
The pineal gland
What hormone regulates sleep?
What is a coma?
- State of unconsciousness for >6 hours
- Cannot be woken
- No response to light, sound or pain stimuli
Neck muscle movements decrease during what sleep stage?
What criteria are there for brain death?
- Coma is not associated with: hypothermia, electrolyte , pH or endocrine disorder, not drug problems
- Must have known damage to brain or irreversible systemic metabolic disease
- Cerebral and brainstem function is absent
What are criteria are there for absence of cerebral and brainstem function?
- No pain response
- Pupils do not respond to light
- No eye movement with tough
- Apnea for 8 minutes w/o ventilation
- Circulation may be intact
- Purely spinal reflexes may be retained
- Neurological exam after 6 hours
What are supplementary criteria for brain death?
- Flat EEG for 30 minutes (amp <2 uV)
- Responses absent in vital brain structures
- Greatly reduced cerebral brain circulation
if C02 is over 60 mmHg, what can be confirmed?