sliding (rolling) where stomach slides or moves into thoracic cavity
obstructions of the digestive function
protusion thru abdonminal wall or inguinal canal
"twinkee" diet of low residue results in saccular weakenings of intestinal wall
types of ulcers
- peptic ulcer
- duodenal ulcer
- gastric ulcer
is breaking down of mucosal lining resulting in autodigestion
occurs in even greater frequency... keep in mind H. pylori is a prominant player in this disease
are less common and tend to be more chronic ulcers generally follow the pain-food-relief pattern, or relief b the use of antacids.
is regional (skip areas) in both sm and lg intestine, familial like ulcerative colitis, and hard to differentiate from it also
inflammation of veriform appendix, often by fecalith-hardened fecal material blocking appendix resulting in pressure, hypoxia and anaerobic bacterial growth. rebound tenderness of rt lower quad
portal hypertension results from what?
- obstruction of blood flow thru liver, most commonly by cirrhosis.
- varicies, splenomegaly, ascites result.
- blood shunts around the obstructed liver
- jaundice results from hyperbilirubinemia.
- jaundice can also occur from obstruction (ex gall stone in common bile duct) or hemolytic breakdown where excess unconjugated bilirubin is present (ex sickle cell; newborns)
alcoholic cirrhosis is the result of what?
alcohol toxicity. cellular damage is seen as "fatty change" where cells accumulate fat, liver turns pasty color... is reversible.
- cirrhosis develops slowly over many years... mallory bodies inside hepatocytes indicates cellular death and liver fibrosis
- eventually liver will have cobblestone appearance
- is common and of several strains ...all can cause the same symptoms, but damage is most severe in B and D.
- the hep B vaccine protects against both as D can only grow simultaneously with B infection
if stone lodges in cystic or common bile duct
- inflammation of pancreas- autodigestion, digestive enzyme into blood stream.
- chronic form usually due to chronic alcohol abuse