What would a human karyotype from a somatic(body) cell look like?
23 Pairs of chromosomes, arranged by size
How is sex determined in humans?
- X and Y Chromosomes
- XX- female
- XY- male
Describe Albinism and how it is inherited.
- Recessive Chromosome ___
- when melanocytes don't produce mealnin (found in skin and eyes)
Describe Cystic Fibrosis and how it is inherited.
- Mutation of Chromosome 7
- Build up of mucus in passageways of body, missing CFTR protein
Describe Huntington's Disease and how it is inherited.
- Chromosome 4- autosomal dominant
- Neutrons in brain turn to mush
Describe Sickle Cell Anemia and how it is inherited.
- Chromosome 11- autosomal recessive
- organ damange due to impaired blood flow (sickeled shape blood cells)
Describe Down Syndrome and how it is inherited.
- Nondisjunction of Chromosome 21
- causes mental retardation, developmental delays, small head, protruding tongue
Describe Klinefelter' Syndrome and how it is inherited.
- XXY syndrome
- Males have one more X chromosome due to nondisjunction
- causes more feminine features, infertility
Describe Turner's Syndrome and how it is inherited.
- Random even in reproduction
- women missing all part of X chromosome
- don't go through puberty, very short
What does "carrier" mean?
someone has one copy of the recessive allele
Name three sex-linked traits in humans.
- Hemophilia: x-linked recessive
- Color Blind: x-linked recessive
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: x-linked recessive