What are the 3 normal breath sounds?
- Vesicular- soft low pitch
- bronchovesicular- moderate blowing sound
- bronchial- high-pitched, loud, "harsh"
Adventitious Breath Sounds
- Crackles (rales)- fine, short, crackling. Air passing through mucus or fluid
- Gurgles (rhonchi)- continuous low-pitched gurgling, snoring. narrowed passages
- Friction Rub- superficial crackling. inflamed pleural surface
- Wheeze- high-pitched squeaky, musical. swelling, tumor or secretions constricted airway
Define whispered pectoriloquy
- pt whispers "1,2,3", listen with stethoscope. Normal= faint sounds
- Abnormal=sounds clear
- Pt says "99" in normal voice. listen with stethoscope.
- Normal=words indistinct
- Bronchophony=sounds heard clearly
listen with stethoscope, patient says "e". normal lung will be "e" as in beet. consolidated lung will be "a" as in say.