What is the word for male in the Bejing Opera?
- Sheng: It's a common name of male characters and composed of Lao Sheng and Xiao Sheng.
- Lao Sheng refers to the middle-aged man with a beard who acts as the decency figure; for example, Zhugeliang in 'Empty City Scheme'.
- Xiao Sheng means young man without a beard.
What is the word for female in the Beging Opera?
- Dan: The general name for female characters can be divided into Zhengdan, Huadan, Laodan, Wudan.
- Zhengdan is also called 'Qingyi', who mainly plays the part of the strong-minded middle-aged woman who behaves elegantly.
- Huadan refers to little girls who often live in the bottom of society.
- Laodan refers to the senior woman and Wudan indicates the female who is good at fighting.
What is the word for painted face role in the Bejing Opera?
- Jing: Painted face often refers to male characters with unique appearance or personality, such as Baozheng and Caocao. Besides,
- Chou is a comic role or villainous character or righteous person.
- The actor's nose is painted by a piece of white powder, making him or her easily recognizable.
What is Stage Properties (Qimo) in reference to Bejing Opera?
- Qimo is a general designation for all kinds of stage properties and simple settings used in Beijing Opera performances.
- It comes from the real life experience.
- For example, an actor can practice the scene of galloping the horse simply by using a horsewhip without riding a real horse on stage.
- A bridge is made up of two chairs standing on each side of a table. Storms are realized by performers dancing with umbrellas.
- The imaginary performance skills largely bring to performers the freedom to express more life scenes.
What is JINGJU WENCHANG?
What does WUCHANG mean?
what is an (ERHU)
a bowed and plucked instr
What is a HIQU?