definition of shock
inadequate tissue perfusion
another name for shock
shock caused from a low fluid volume
what does arterial bleeding look like?
bright red, spurting
what does venous bleeding look like?
dark red and a steady stream
what does capillary bleeding look like?
dark red and oozing
The body cannot tolerate ____% blood loss.
List the pressure points.
- Dorsalis Pedis
- Posterior Tibial
Signs and symptoms of internal bleeding
- pain, swelling, tenderness, discoloration at site
- bleeding from mouth, nose, rectum, or vagina
- vomiting bright red or tarry stools
- tender, rigid or distended abdomen
different kinds of hypoperfusion
a whole body inflammatory state caused by a severe infection. bacteria or toxins throughout the body cause the blood vessels to dilate and become permeable and leak
signs of decompensated shock
- anxiety and restlessness
- weakness and dizziness
- rapid, shallow breathing
- weak rapid pulse
- cool, clammy skin (diaphoresis)
- decreased BP
things that could cause acute abdominal pain
- esophageal reflux
- inflammation of other organs such as pancreas and gallbladder
- bowel obstruction
- kidney problems
- ectopic pregnancy
What are the three types of impact causing blunt trauma in an MVA?
- vehicle hitting object
- body hitting vehicle
- organs hitting inside of skull, chest wall or abdomen
Age ___ and under should always ride in the backseat.
shock caused by ineffective pump function of the heart
causes of cardiogenic shock
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Myocardial Infarction
- Congestive Heart Failure
- drug OD
- Pulmonary Edema
causes vasogenic shock
- spinal shock (neurogenic)
causes of hypovolemic shock
- fluid loss
- heat exhaustion