A hose attached to a utility sink faucet and left sitting in a bucket of dirty water could contaminate the water supply.
T or F:
There must be a minimum of 20 foot-candles of light (215 lux) in a food preparation area.
T or F:
Handwashing stations are required in dishwashing and service areas
T or F:
When mounted on legs, tabletop equipment must be at least two inches off the floor.
T or F:
Grease on an establishment's ceiling can be a sign of inadequate ventilation
What should floring be like in your establishment?
It should be:
4. easy to clean
5. resist wear
6. prevent slips
Floors should have a low _____.
What is the advantages and disadvantages of using hard-surface flooring?
3. easy to clean
1. make break or chip
2. May break objects dropped on it.
3. Poor sound absorption
4. Slippery when wet
For dry storage areas, what is 50-50?
50°F & 50% humidity
What is the requirement for screens for dry storage areas?
16 mesh to the inch
What are the requirements for handwashing stations?
1. Hot & cold running water (at least 100°F)
3. A means to dry hands (Disposable paper towels & at least 1 warm-air hand drier)
4. Waste container
5. Signage indicating employees are required to wash hands before returning to work
What are the two organizations concerned with sanitation equipment?
NSF & UL
What are the requirements for walk-in refrigeration units & reach-in units?
Walk-in units must be sealed to the floor & wall. Reach-in units should be on casters and be at least 6" off the floor.
What is one of the greatest challenges to water safety?
Cross-connections -- allows the possiblity of backflow of wastewater into potable water supply
What is the only completely reliable method of preventing backflow?
What are the minimum lighting intensity requirements for 1) food-prep areas, 2) dishwashing areas, 3) dry storage areas & dining areas
1) 50 foot-candles (~100-150 watts)
2) 20 foot-candles (~60 watts)
3) 10 foot-candles (~30 watts)
What are the three approaches that the EPA has recommended for managing solid waste?
1) Reduce the amount of waste produced
2) Reuse when possible (must wash & sanitize containers)
3) Recycle materials
What is one of the most important considerations when choosing flooring for food-prep areas?
The material's porosity. The FDA recommends non-porous materials
What action must be taken in the event of a backup of raw sewage in an establishment?
Immediate closure of the area, correction of the problem, and through cleaning
What can be done to prevent a backflow in an establishment?
1) Install vacuum breakers or other approved backflow-preventing devices on threaded faucets and connections between two piping systems.
2) Install air-gaps wherever practical & possible
A) What are some potable-water sources for an establishment? B) What are the testing requirements for non-public water systems?
1) Approved water mains
2) Private water sources regularily maintained & tested
3) Closed portable water containers filled with potable water
4) Properly maintained water transport vehicles
B) Non-public water systems should be tested at least annually and the report kept in the establishment. Check with local regulatory agency for info on inspections
A) What are the requirements of a handwashing station?
B) In what areas of an establishment are handwashing stations required?
1. Hot & cold running water (at least 100°F)2. Soap3. A means to dry hands (Disposable paper towels & at least 1 warm-air hand drier)4. Waste container 5. Signage indicating employees are required to wash hands before returning to work.
B) Areas required: Food-prep areas, service areas, dishwashing areas, restrooms
What are the requirements for installing stationary equipment?
It must be mounted on legs, at least 6" off the floor, or must be sealed to a masonary base.
Generally, operations that use a private water source, such as a well, must have it tested at least:
What is the only completely reliable method for preventing backflow?
When installing tabletop equipment on legs, the space between the base of the equipment and the tabletop must be at least
How hot should the hot water at a handwashing station get?
Foodservice equipment that has been certified as meeting standards may be stamped with the ___ mark
What information should be posted on or near a dishwasher?
To keep food from being contaminated by lighting, use