What speed is authorized for your train if you are not given a speed by the worker-in-charge before entering a Form W?
When practicable, cars should not be left within _____ feet of railroad crossings equipped with warning devices?
When practicable, cars should not be left within _____ feet of railroad crossings not equipped with warning devices.
After ensuring all couplings are made by stretching the slack, the employee directing the movement must provide point protection or be in a position to make a positive visual determination what 4 things before making a shoving move?
1. No conflicting movements.
2. Intervening switches and derails are properly lined for the intended movement.
3. No intervening road crossings, and
4. Sufficient room in the track to hold the equipment being shoved.
Two or more crews must not simultaneously perform work in the same track or adjacent tracks until: (2 Requirements)
1. A job briefing has been held, and
2. All crew members confirm their understanding of the work to be performed.
May cars be cut off in motion while being pulled by a locomotive?
May cars be cut off in motion when being pushed by a locomotive?
Cars set out with defective handbrakes must be coupled to how many additional cars with tested handbrakes when left unattended?
How many locomotive handbrakes must be applied on locomotives being left unattended outside an engine servicing area?
All locomotive handbrakes must be applied.
Which employees are responsible for switches, track skates, and derails in use?
All employees are individually responsible for the switches and derails they are using.
Who may use a switches, track skates, or derails?
Only employees qualified on the operating and safety rules related to the equipment.
How must crossover switches be lined
Both switches of a crossover must be lined for the intended route.
Is permission required to operate an electrically-locked switch to enter a non-signaled track from a signaled track?
How close must a train be to permit unlocking a switch in signaled territory?
Within 100 feet of the switch.
What is required to operate or unlock a switch or derail that provides access to a controlled track?
Singal indication or permission from the train dispatcher.
What 4 instances permit swithces or derails to not be lined in their designated normal position?
1. Changing for immediate movement.
2. Being used in continuous switching operations.
3. Attended by a qualified employee.
4. When authorized by the train dispatcher.
departing a location where main track switches were operated by hand, employees must verbally confirm the position of the switch and that it has been locked with whom?
1. Other members of the crew, and
2. The train dispatcher.
When radios are used, employees directing the movement of trains must communicate what 4 things to the person receiving the instructions?
1. Employee's physical location.
2. Employee is CLEAR OF ALL TRACKS.
3. Position of switches and derails involved in the movement.
4. Distance of the movement to be made or the sight distance available in 50 foot car lengths.
What speed must trains use while on other than main or signaled tracks?
A speed that will permit stopping within 1/2 the range of vision, short of a train, a car, an obstruction, a derail or an imporperly lined switch, on-track equipment or a stop signal.
Your train is operating inside a yard. What speed must you operate over a crossover an inbound track to a receiving yard track?
How long must a diesel engine be operated at less than throttle position # 8 before it can be shut down?
REF: 5352B ABTH
Which circuit breaker must be opened when shutting down a locomotive?
The radio circuit breaker.
REF: 5352B ABTH
How many powered axles are allowed while pulling a train or cut of cars?
24 Powered axles.
When shoving a cut of cars totaling more than 50, how many powered axles are allowed?
15 Powered axles.
A locomotive must stop within how many feet to consider a hand brake test effective?
When must a job breifing be held? (4 Circumstances)
1. Before beginning a work activity.
2. When work activity or work conditions change.
3. When another person joins the crew.
4. When required to handle a hand-operated main track switch in non-signaled territory.
While getting on/off equipment, which direction must you face?