flat, enclosed area.
-An area enclosed by a line.
-A closed path.
- whose boundaries usually consist entirely of curved lines.
- whose boundaries usually consist entirely of straight lines.
- can appear clean, simple, modern or cold, utilitarian and sterile.
Related to geometry. Usually simple and regular
- found in nature, such
- plants, animals, sea and sky
Positive/Negative Shape Integration
Concerned with HOW the
subject fills the format and
what kind of negative shapes
- created around the subject
Positive Negative Shape Reversal
- arrangement in which the positive and negative shapes alternatively command
- the artist has the option of showing the
- entire scene or a portion that continues beyond the format.
- the subject interacting with the edges of the format. Completion of the design
- is implied beyond the format.
- the subject entirely contained within the format with “air”
- space all around the subject.